Gym set-up

• 15 March 2018
  • 6 replies

I’m wanting to know what the best set up with Sonos would be. We’re going to have a gym an reception area and would like to be playing two different music. The gym area is about 100m^2 with over 12’ ceilings. The reception area is about 5m^2.

What would you suggest? Also we’re in Qatar so our power outlet is 220v. Is that an issue for Sonos products?

Would 4 Play 5’s in the gym and 1-2 play 3’s in reception be a good setup? Do we need anything else to link multiple play 5’s in the gym? What about a subwoofer for the gym Area? Any other products? We would be streaming Spotify or the coaches would playing music from their phones. Well also have a computer in the gym connect to display TVs that is capable of playing music.

Please and thank you for your suggestions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Is the gym one big rectangular room, or is differently shaped? What activities will take place in the area? Will it be filled with weight lifting equipment or be an open space.

Honestly, I probably would be looking to put in ceiling speakers for a room that large, assuming it's just 4 walls. Speakers along the walls will be not be able to fill the room very well. And because it's essentially one zone, there is no need to buy multiple sonos equipment. I would probably get an amp or amps designed for a room that large using a sonos CONNECT as the source.

For the reception area, since you want to play different music, I'd just get a pair of play:1s or sonos ones. That should be more then enough for a reception area, which you probably don't want to ever get very loud anyway.

FYI, I asked about the activity because I think the system to use depends on the activity. If it's weight lifting, people won't want it to be too loud and distracting and may want to use headphones. it's annoying when the gym music is overshadowing my headphones. If it's a training class, then a little better, but you still need to hear the coach. If it's some sort of dance related class, the music probably needs to be pretty loud and your coaches may need a PA system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A connect, a power amplifier and ceiling speakers really might be best. A connect won't directly drive more than 4 - 8 Ohm speakers without an impedance matching switch but you can get much more flexibility with a separate amp. A quad channel amp or two stereo amps should happily drive 8 - 8 Ohm speakers, maybe some nice 2 or three way 8 inch ones. An evenly distributed grid of them overhead should give you adequate sound levels and a reasonably level volume around the room.

Mixing the Connect's stereo output down to mono might be a plus in your situation, if not pay attention to the left and right channel speaker locations and try to distribute them evenly.

Play 1s for reception should do fine, we visit several offices around here that us a grouped (not stereo pair) set of 1s with very good results. A couple places just sit them on tables, most use wall mounts in the corners of the room for a bit better sound and more security.
A connect, a power amplifier and ceiling speakers really might be best. A connect won't directly drive more than 4 - 8 Ohm speakers without an impedance matching switch .As the Connect has no amplification I cannot see any way there can be any restriction of this sort. Are you thinking of the Connect:Amp? Or have I misunderstood?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yep, I left the Amp out there:
A connect Amp won't directly drive more than 4 - 8 Ohm speakers without an impedance matching switch .
Thanks for the responses.

It’s going to be a CrossFit gym so open squar space with the intention to have loud pumping music. We’re fitting it out from scratch so we can mount and wire as we see fit. We’re getting quoted from the local Bose rep for nearly $6,000 for a Spealers, wireless volume control, and cctv. I’m trying to save the owners on that cost so it could be spent elsewhere.

Could I just do 4-6 Play 5’s, the Sonos Sub in the main area and do like a Play 1 in the reception? Also does the power for the speakers accept 220v or is it only 110v?
This is the main area of the gym and the reception.