Question

Getting started

Userlevel 1
Badge
Just joined you guys,I need you guys advice on what I need for my music,home theatre questions,please help

43 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Well a pair of Play:1 would give you a nice into to Sonos. You can always add more as you go.

What is that you have planned? A few more details of where you want to go and we can give you more advice.
Userlevel 1
Badge
In my den,was thinking along the lines of a play bar and sub,I love music and my wife loves music so I wasn't sure which way to go
Userlevel 1
Badge
Having a cookout Labor Day weekend so I definitely want to have my music on point
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
A Play Bar and a Sub are a great set up. Add a Boost so you have SonosNet working and you will be very happy. You do not need the Boost as long as one of your speakers is hard wired to the router.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Conflicted on Play 1s or 3s, what's the difference? What should I do?
Userlevel 1
Badge
You also answered my question on Boost,thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Well in my opinion the Play:1s are great for your 5.1 surrounds. I started with two Play:3s as the surrounds and it was fine but I moved the two Play:1s to the surrounds and moved the Play:3 to the kids room. The kids now have more sound. So the Play:1s with the Sub and Play Bar are great.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Have a look at

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/adding-a-tips-and-tricks-heading-and-a-sonos-101-for-newbies-6730704/index1.html#post15966011
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks,I really appreciate your help
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hey Capn, since version 5.4 a boost wasn't required for home theatre setups.

Still well worth having one however for the mesh network capabilities 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
In my opinion the only way to run a Sonos system is on SonosNet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
and as usual CapnLes would be correct
Having a cookout Labor Day weekend so I definitely want to have my music on point

But do you want it on fleek? 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks guys,any advice on what music services?any advice would surely be welcomed,I've decided on the play bar,sub,boost,3 play 1s,one of them upstairs in my bar,picking everything up next week so I can play around with it before the cookout,,so I just want any advice on music services,I like ALL genre of music
Thanks guys,any advice on what music services?any advice would surely be welcomed,I've decided on the play bar,sub,boost,3 play 1s,one of them upstairs in my bar,picking everything up next week so I can play around with it before the cookout,,so I just want any advice on music services,I like ALL genre of music

Google Play Music has the most complete Sonos implementation. With the added improvements that you can play your own library from their Cloud and it allows you to cast from the Google Play Music app to your Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks,I'm really new to this as you can tell,I have no downloaded music as of yet,should I start now or wait till I'm connected to Sonos,I'm going to use my phone and IPad,should I wait to start downloading music or start downloading to both?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can upload your music to google play anytime. It won't have any effect on sonos setup
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Come back here and let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Really appreciate it guys,I will
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Thanks,I'm really new to this as you can tell,I have no downloaded music as of yet,should I start now or wait till I'm connected to Sonos,I'm going to use my phone and IPad,should I wait to start downloading music or start downloading to both?

Just wanted to add to this. Once you get a streaming service on SONOS you won't need to download any track as they will just stream. In saying that you definitely have the option to download if you wanted to. You can allow SONOS to access your local music library, whether that's saved on your home PC, or on your phone/tablet, you have the option to access that too!

Many ways to get the party started but the simplest is the streaming service, log in, search for a track, play. :)

Since you're getting the PLAYBAR also it will play whatever is plugged into it's optical port so if you've got some music TV stations you like you can play them through your whole system too!

Best regards!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Great info,thanks!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm learning so much from you guys,I really appreciate all of your advice,I really think I'm gonna have a great Sonos experience,Thanks again,all you guys rock!!!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Don't hesitate to ask us anything that comes to mind! We're all more than happy to help!
I hope your players arrive soon! 😃

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings