Answered

gen1 Play: 5 pair vs gen 3 Play Five single?

• 7 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I recently purchased 2 very nicely used gen 1 Play 5’s for my basement for $300 (US) for the pair. Did I make a mistake? My budget is limited. Should I sell the gen 1’s and buy 1 gen 3 Play 5 for $500? Do you recommend any other options? Thanks for your time, Rayskies

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 8 July 2020, 10:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not sure why you need agreement from anyone else. You’re the best judge of what your ears prefer, and what your finances can afford. A pair of Sonos Ones is certainly a great starting platform, but the again, so is pretty much any Sonos speaker. Although I wouldn’t start with a Sub, as it needs a regular Sonos speaker to be bonded to.

As long as they continue to work, you’re fine. You won’t be able to use them as surround speakers in a Sonos home theater setup, but other than that, you shouldn’t have issues. I prefer a stereo pair over a single speaker anyway. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I sure don’t think swapping a pair of Play 5s for a pair of Play 1s or Ones is a good trade when thinking about sound quality.

A pair of Ones or One SLs and a Sub maybe, but you said limited budget and the Sub comes dear.

I sure don’t think swapping a pair of Play 5s for a pair of Play 1s or Ones is a good trade when thinking about sound quality.

A pair of Ones or One SLs and a Sub maybe, but you said limited budget and the Sub comes dear.

My thought is to sell the pair of gen 1 Play 5’s and get a pair of the Sonos ones (gen 2). Which pair would sound the best by adding a sub?

I’m new to this forum and I’ve been reading some related topics. Sounds like I should sell my pair of gen 1 Play 5’s and buy a pair of the Play 1’s. All agree?