Question

Expanding my system

• 16 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
So I currently have a play bar and 2 play 1's connected to the TV in the dining seating area, I have a play 1 in every bedroom and z play 5 in the loft room.

I currently have nothing in the lounge connected to the TV, can I relocate the play 5 to use with the TV and buy 2 more play 1's or should I go all out and buy another play bar and 2 x play 3's??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Depends what you're asking, you can't use the play:5 as a replacement Playbar with the play:1s as surrounds, no. The play:5 might be OK on its own but there will be a 70ms delay on the line-in which will make the audio out of sync with the pictures.
Badge +1
As the play 5 is not really used in the loft room, would it be better to buy another play 5 and play bar for the lounge?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As the play 5 is not really used in the loft room, would it be better to buy another play 5 and play bar for the lounge?

We can't really answer this for you.

- You already have a Playbar with 2 x Play 1 as surrounds so you know how much better than TV sound that is and you also know what ot's like for music playback.
- You already know that Playbar is the "preferred" solution for TV sound using Sonos but only you know whether or not you need that improvement over the TV sound - How often do you use that room for TV eg?

- Most here would NOT suggest 2 x Play 5 for rears. Also, if you have a Play 5 Gen 1 it will NOT work a a surround.
The play:5s are generally considered overkill for surround duties but if you're likely to listen to music as well in that room then setting them to "full" may be a good solution. If you don't listen to music I'd move two of the play:1s from the bedrooms into the lounge with a Playbar and then replace them with the loft play:5 and an additional one if you're desperate to make another purchase!
Badge +1
Thanks for the advise, going to have a change around today and see how it goes
Badge +1
So to update, I have moved 2 play 1's and the play bar into the lounge. I have then moved the play 5 into the dinning are plugged into the tv for the moment with 2 play 1's grouped to it. All seeems good but lacking speakers in the bedrooms at the moment until I decide on my next plan of action.
Userlevel 7
Hi Zachary1335

Your initial post stated…

“So I currently have a play bar and 2 play 1's connected to the TV in the dining seating area, I have a play 1 in every bedroom and z play 5 in the loft room. I currently have nothing in the lounge connected to the TV, can I relocate the play 5 to use with the TV and buy 2 more play 1's or should I go all out and buy another play bar and 2 x play 3's??”

Your most appreciated update stated….

“I have moved 2 play 1's and the play bar into the lounge. I have then moved the play 5 into the dinning are plugged into the tv for the moment with 2 play 1's grouped to it. All seeems good but lacking speakers in the bedrooms at the moment until I decide on my next plan of action”.

Typically, I don’t try to steer an individual’s listening preference as it is a personal experience. However, (with all due respect) your solution for the moment is one I’d give pause to…especially if a person had not already purchased Sonsos gear. I realize you already have Sonos but please give this a read….

Connecting a Play 5 (while not my choice) via line-out from your TV to the Play 5 line-in is acceptable as long as you don’t mind the slight audio delay. Grouping Play 1’s to the Play 5 in the same room is something I wouldn’t recommend because of the echo (i.e. stadium effect) that ensues.

The sound from the Play 5 GROUPED with Play 1’s may sound great for sporting events; but most I know would not like it for regular TV broadcast dialogue. Generally, the grouping you have employed finds the Play 1’s in other rooms where TV audio is desired and the echo (delay) is not noticed. Also, while you can control the volume of the Play 5 with your TV remote (by setting the audio-out in the TV menu to “variable”) you will not be able to control the volume of the Play 1’s without the use of the Sonos Controller App. I’ll grant that you can use the Sonos Controller App to control all the speakers. However, in the end the “convenience” aspect of a single remote is lost.

Although you didn’t say…I assume you were/are using your Playbar and Play 1’s in a surround setup. Therefore, volume control as you know is simplified when using the Playbar with Play 1’s BONDED to it as surrounds as you can use your TV remote (assuming the Playbar can learn its commands).

Having said all the above FWIW…I would suggest:

Option1
Move the Play 5 back to the loft. Purchase a Playbar to go with the TV in the dining area and bond the Play 1’s to it as surrounds. Purchase Play 1’s or 3’s for the bedrooms.

Option 2
Move the Play 5 back to the loft. Purchase a Playbar and Play 1’s or 3’s as surrounds to go with the TV in the dining area. Move the Play 1’s back to the bedrooms.

I hope you take my observations/suggestions as one Community member offering advice to another. At the end-of-the-day the final decision is yours.

Cheers!
Badge +1
Hi Ajtrek1,

Thanks for the advice, I initially thought I would be best buying another play bar for the living room and was thinking of 2 play 3's to go with it. To be honest the only thing that stopped me was the question of is this the best set up?

It seems a waste of the play 5 to sit in the loft and not be used, I can see a swap on the horizon and my daughter's play 1 becoming a 5!!!

Looking forward to the next upgrade, play bar and play 3's here we come!!