Question

Existing speakers with Sonos Amp

Hi all - I have a wired speaker system in my house currently - Sony receiver and Polk speakers - two floor speakers, one center channel, and one subwoofer.

I’m looking into getting the Sonos Amp, primarily so that I can utilize my existing setup and add wireless outdoor speakers for my patio.

My thought was that with the Sonos amp, I would no longer need my Sony receiver. However, it looks like the Sonos amp only has inputs for front speakers and sub - nothing for a center channel. So if I replace my receiver with Sonos, do I lose the center channel? And is there any point to keeping the Sony receiver if I get Sonos?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Correct, the Sonos Amp solution does not provide outputs (not inputs) for a center channel. What Sonos does is use the front left and front right signals to create a "phantom" center channel. Never tried it myself, but I've also never seen a single complaint about it here on the boards, so I assume it works satisfactorily.

If you're wed to having a center channel speaker, keep the Sony receiver and just add a CONNECT to it, so that you can stream Sonos data to it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I looked at the Amp and really liked it compared to the AVR with a million options I have now. The need for two of them, front and rear dampened the enthusiasm a bit and the lack of a center channel put the upgrade on hold until the AVR dies or we move to a smaller place.

The phantom center channel may work well but we are both a bit hard of hearing and don't want to risk missing the center channel speaker.

I’m looking into getting the Sonos Amp, primarily so that I can utilize my existing setup and add wireless outdoor speakers for my patio.

What was your plan for wireless outdoor speakers? Were you going to use a separate Sonos amp to power those, and control would be the wireless part?
Apareti,

If the L/R front speakers are good quality and close to the TV, center channel is redundant. However, for the hard of hearing, the ability to independently adjust a center channel speaker level and tone balance can be useful.

What was your plan for wireless outdoor speakers? Were you going to use a separate Sonos amp to power those, and control would be the wireless part?

It looks like the amp is sold as a package with two outdoor wireless speakers (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp-and-outdoor-set.html). I was under the impression the amp is what powers the outdoor speakers. Can I not use the amp to power the wireless outdoor speakers AND my wired system simultaneously?

It looks like the amp is sold as a package with two outdoor wireless speakers (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp-and-outdoor-set.html). I was under the impression the amp is what powers the outdoor speakers. Can I not use the amp to power the wireless outdoor speakers AND my wired system simultaneously?

No. An amp can't power wireless speakers. Wireless speakers need to have their own amp and power supply. A sonos amp can communicate with other Sonos speakers to play audio in sync, but only other Sonos speakers/products.

What wireless speakers are you using? Are they battery powered? Plug in to an outlet? How do they connect to the audio source?

No. An amp can't power wireless speakers. Wireless speakers need to have their own amp and power supply. A sonos amp can communicate with other Sonos speakers to play audio in sync, but only other Sonos speakers/products.

What wireless speakers are you using? Are they battery powered? Plug in to an outlet? How do they connect to the audio source?

I'm not using any wireless speakers today. I want to add outdoor speakers that will play the same audio that I have playing inside the house. Now I'm more confused - Sonos sells the amp and wireless outdoor speakers as a package, which suggests that's all you need to make it work. That same amp also has inputs for wired speakers, which I have as well.

I'm starting to think this is not the best route for me...maybe adding a bluetooth transmitter to my receiver and pairing it with a wireless bluetooth speaker would be better/easier? I'll have to do more research.
The 'Sonos Outdoor by Sonance' speakers are not wireless, they're wired (which is why Sonos sells them as a bundle with the Amp).

I'm not using any wireless speakers today. I want to add outdoor speakers that will play the same audio that I have playing inside the house. Now I'm more confused - Sonos sells the amp and wireless outdoor speakers as a package, which suggests that's all you need to make it work. That same amp also has inputs for wired speakers, which I have as well.

I'm starting to think this is not the best route for me...maybe adding a bluetooth transmitter to my receiver and pairing it with a wireless bluetooth speaker would be better/easier? I'll have to do more research.

The Sonance outdoor speakers are not wireless, nor battery operated. You will need 16 gauge speaker cable to wire those to the Amp and a power source for each speaker... (Note: the Sonos Amp is not weatherproof - so you need to deal with that aspect also) ideally install that indoors.

You will need both that Sonance/Amp package and also a Sonos ‘Connect' for attaching to your Sony Receiver to achieve your goal.

Sonos doesn't sell wireless outdoor speakers. Is this the package you're referring to? The Sonance speakers are not wireless. They are passive, wired, outdoor speakers. I realize they don't show the wires in pictures, but that's not suppossed to mean they are wireless.

Bluetooth has limited range and audio quality. And whatever bluetooth speaker you get will need to plugged in or brought in to recharge a battery occasionally. That may be what works best for you, but it is going to have it's drawbacks.

Personally, I have a Sonos amp with 4 outdoor speakers. Not the Sonoance speakers as they are out of my price range, but pretty good quality. It does take some effort to get it setup, but care free once it's in place.
You will need 16 gauge cable to wire those to the Amp and a power source for each speaker.
They're conventional passive speakers. No "power source", only the signal from the Amp.

You will need 16 gauge cable to wire those to the Amp and a power source for each speaker.They're conventional passive speakers. No "power source", only the signal from the Amp.

Ah yes of course, silly me !!.. thanks for correcting that @ratty. I dunno what I was thinking.