Question

Exchange Port for Amp

• 8 July 2020
  • 3 replies

I bought my first Sonos products recently. I got a Port and four One speakers. My intent is to replace two old wired speakers and also extend my music to other rooms. I play albums and want to play them through Sonos. I was able to do this and then realized that I also want to keep my surroound sound for tv and movies. The Port won’t do this. My understanding is I need the Amp. Two related questions. 1) is that true that the Amp will allo we to play records and have surround sound from my receiver. 2) had a discount to purchase these items. will the discount be honored upon exchanage? thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you have a receiver, you don’t need the Amp.  Don’t know who told you differently, but the Port is specifically made to connect to existing A/V systems.  Connect one of the digital/analog outputs on the Port to one of the inputs on the receiver (ex. AUX, CD, etc.).  Connect the turntable to the LIne-In on the Port. 

Tip: Make sure the Port is set to Fixed VOlume in the settings, otherwise the volume will be too low when put through the receiver.

Thanks. The issue isn’t playing from my turntable. I was able to do that quite easily. The issue is that I also want to have sound from my receiver to my Sonos speakers will playing blu ray. For that, I’ll need the Amp to play both my turntable and my movies through the receiver. 

Thanks. The issue isn’t playing from my turntable. I was able to do that quite easily. The issue is that I also want to have sound from my receiver to my Sonos speakers will playing blu ray. For that, I’ll need the Amp to play both my turntable and my movies through the receiver. 

The amp cannot play to your receiver.  The Amp replaces your receiver.   You would connect the Amp to the TV via optic or ARC, then to the two front speakers by speaker cable.  The Blue-ray would connect to the TV and output over the TV’s optical or ARC to the Amp.