Exact difference between Beam and 2x One's

• 30 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I know it can look like a question that has been asked dozens of times, but let me explain:

I know now for sure, after all the conversations held in this forum, that 2x Ones will give you better sound than the beam. Now, my question here is, how much better?. Is it a 30% better. Just a slight increase in bass?

Just enough better to give up all the convenience that the Beam gives me?

I just plan to use it in my bedroom which is small.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In a way you are asking if apples are 30% better than potatoes. BEAM is designed to be used in association with a TV, 2x ONE is a stereo audio product. It is impractical to use ONE’s with a TV unless they are used as surround speakers for one of the bars. BEAM could be used as a stereo audio product, but the separation is not adjustable. For optimal music listening the L/R speakers should approximately form an equilateral triangle with the listener.

In a way you are asking if apples are 30% better than potatoes. BEAM is designed to be used in association with a TV, 2x ONE is a stereo audio product. It is impractical to use ONE’s with a TV unless they are used as surround speakers for one of the bars. BEAM could be used as a stereo audio product, but the separation is not adjustable. For optimal music listening the L/R speakers should approximately form an equilateral triangle with the listener.

Thanks for your reply.

I want to enhance the TV experience but also listen to music.

I can do TV via AirPlay for the Ones, but I’d rather have the HDMI convenience of the Beam.

It’s a small room and I’m not a huge fan of sub-bass bouncing all over the walls.

If beam provides a similar experience in music regarding quality with less bass and less stereo separation I’m more than happy to get the beam. 

In this case, my question is how much better music will sound with a pair of one’s compared to beam

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If Sonos do the money-back trial in your region, buy both and return the one you like less. 

Your ears hear things differently to mine; your room acoustics are different to mine. Go with what you like. 

atdot,

I have relatively little experience with Airplay. Is your TV wired to the network or wireless? Do you use TV  streaming Apps? If the TV is wireless and you use TV Apps, it seems to me that there would be a lot of WiFi traffic through the TV. If your SONOS system will also be using WiFi, your WiFi would need to be very robust in order to support this traffic.I’m not saying that this couldn’t work, but I’m suspicious. In my area there is so much WiFi pollution that I would not attempt this system approach.

I don’t know how important full stereo is for your music. As a quick test you could move your current speakers so that they fit within a 25 inch space. This is not exactly how BEAM will sound, but this will give you a feel for any issues. BEAM plays a few tricks that widens the apparent separation of the channels. This processing has some side effects that are welcome to some listeners and unwelcome to others.

Goodness of sound is in the ear of the listener, only you know what sounds “best” (to you).