eGarden set up

New to Sonos but wife wants to buy me a setup after experiencing a friends. What is a good setup to stream from an iPhone to outdoor garden speakers in a summerhouse for BBQ and the music in the main house in the kitchen? Is it a case of buying wired waterproof speakers for the summer house connected to a connect amp with a pair of play 1's in the kitchen.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

That would do the trick. Excellent way to start. You may also want a Boost to connect to your router to get your Sonos on its own network and isolated from your WiFi.
Thanks jgatie. So the Boost sets up a subnet? I assumed it was just a signal boost to non wired speakers and therefore no need for the wired ones in the garden. What benefit is there for the Sonos to be isolated from the wifi?
Dedicated bandwidth, such that heavy usage of Wifi for other uses will not affect the stability of the audio stream.
Thanks jgatie. So the Boost sets up a subnet? I assumed it was just a signal boost to non wired speakers and therefore no need for the wired ones in the garden. What benefit is there for the Sonos to be isolated from the wifi?

Two things. Dedicated bandwidth (as Kumar stated) and a mesh architecture; such that each Sonos units talks to each other, rather than all talking to a central router.
Ah I see and makes sense, will add that to the wifes shopping list. Fathers day coming soon 🙂 thanks for help
Badge
I think the bigger question and more important part is how to make the speakers waterproof. How waterproof are the Sonos in terms of the sprinkler / sprinkler system?
How does this question arise - Sonos doesn't make waterproof speakers and the OP seems to know that.
Thanks Kumar. You are correct I understand I need some outdoor/weather proof wired speakers that will be connected by speaker cable in te traditional way back to the Sonos Connect Amp. Looking to get the Bose 151 Environmental speakers
I would get the 251 model, the one time extra price is worth it, I can assure you. But there are some others here that have used good speakers from other makes as well, who may have something to contribute on this count.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Have a look at the Polk Atrium 8 SDI speakers. They are on sale right now. I have them. They are great.

Kris 🙂