Answered

Does the 5.1 package need a Sonos amp ??

• 10 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Just threw down a good chunk of change on the 5.1 system with the sub, playbar and two of the Ones...Do I need to get the sonos Amp as well ? Or is it better with it ? And can I add to this set up with the play 5's ? Total newb... Just curious! Thanks
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 September 2019, 22:35

For any 5.1 setup, you have to run the front 3 channels with either a playbar, playbase, beam, or Sonos amp. You have the playbar, so you're covered. You can add the sub, which you have. For surrounds, you need a like pair of Sonos speakers, which you have with the Ones, or an amp powering two passive speakers.

Your 5.1 setup is complete, and nothing can be added to it at this point. You can switch out parts if you want, but not add.

That said, you can add play:5s and/or the amp to other rooms in the house and 'group' the two rooms together to play music in sync. Or separately as you wish.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For any 5.1 setup, you have to run the front 3 channels with either a playbar, playbase, beam, or Sonos amp. You have the playbar, so you're covered. You can add the sub, which you have. For surrounds, you need a like pair of Sonos speakers, which you have with the Ones, or an amp powering two passive speakers.

Your 5.1 setup is complete, and nothing can be added to it at this point. You can switch out parts if you want, but not add.

That said, you can add play:5s and/or the amp to other rooms in the house and 'group' the two rooms together to play music in sync. Or separately as you wish.
So I could buy two Play 5s and replace the Ones ? Get even better sound that way ?
I wouldn’t. The Ones are great for surrounds. You could get a pair of PLAY:5s and set them up as another room, and use them for music, though. I have a pair flanking my PLAYBAR for that purpose.
Thanks man! Appreciate it!