Do not buy from Sonos

• 8 February 2020
  • 61 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

No one asked you to play any games. I’ve just explained the truth. You don’t happen to like it. Not a problem, but denying that there is the possibility of a 5 year life span on Sonos products (or shorter if an unsuspecting or uninformed customer were to buy from an authorized vendor on say Amazon), is just denying the truth.

Gosh, amazed to return to this thread and find you still doggedly defending your lunatic argument. Yes an individual speaker may get less than 5 years’ updates - with probability 0.00001%. That we can agree on.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

No one asked you to play any games. I’ve just explained the truth. You don’t happen to like it. Not a problem, but denying that there is the possibility of a 5 year life span on Sonos products (or shorter if an unsuspecting or uninformed customer were to buy from an authorized vendor on say Amazon), is just denying the truth.

Gosh, amazed to return to this thread and find you still doggedly defending your lunatic argument. Yes an individual speaker may get less than 5 years’ updates - with probability 0.00001%. That we can agree on.

I have a similar disbelief anytime I read one of your posts and wonder how someone can be so obtuse. Its good you’re finally understanding simple statements of logic. In addition to the remote possibility that someone only gets 5 years of use out of their Sonos devices, there is also an increasing probability that it happens each and every day thereafter. This gets back to the core of many people’s concern. Will Pandora or Spotify go dark a week, a month, 6 months, much longer, after updates cease? No one here knows, but we do know and can now agree on that we are only guaranteed 5 years.

I have a similar disbelief anytime I read one of your posts and wonder how someone can be so obtuse. Its good you’re finally understanding simple statements of logic. In addition to the remote possibility that someone only gets 5 years of use out of their Sonos devices, there is also an increasing probability that it happens each and every day thereafter. This gets back to the core of many people’s concern. Will Pandora or Spotify go dark a week, a month, 6 months, much longer, after updates cease? No one here knows, but we do know and can now agree on that we are only guaranteed 5 years after last date of manufacture..

Fixed it for you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I have a similar disbelief anytime I read one of your posts and wonder how someone can be so obtuse. Its good you’re finally understanding simple statements of logic. In addition to the remote possibility that someone only gets 5 years of use out of their Sonos devices, there is also an increasing probability that it happens each and every day thereafter. This gets back to the core of many people’s concern. Will Pandora or Spotify go dark a week, a month, 6 months, much longer, after updates cease? No one here knows, but we do know and can now agree on that we are only guaranteed 5 years after last date of manufacture..

Fixed it for you!

Correct, as I’ve stated multiple times previously, Mr. Pot.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Look at some previous posts. I have copied and pasted an email from Patrick (CEO). They do not know if they can maintain four year old Amps with new equipment on the same system.   Direct from the CEO. Technical support and sales teams have told me the same thing.

Bury your head in sand if you like. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Fine. You are entitled to your opinion and of course not to buy more Sonos if that is your preference. But statements that are completely incorrect don't help the discussion. 

Thanks for allowing me to post my opinion dear moderator!

Not incorrect if you want updates.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos has said they will do some maintenance updates but have not defined what that means or for how long so definitely agree.

You are making factually incorrect statements. The same incorrect statements that have been made countless times on this forum. It is past the point where it is worth contradicting these statements for the umpteenth time.

Do as you wish, of course, but I shall continue to enjoy my Sonos system as I have done for the last 9 years.

Most of what he said the absolutely correct. If you rely on streaming music services, you very well may have obsolete devices come May because Sonos has stated they won’t update software to keep up with them after may. For me, this would definitely make my devices obsolete. For others that mostly stream their own music from a local server, maybe not. Sonos specifically stated that these services would deprecate after May. Their “clarifications” have not contradicted this. They have only not reaffirmed it, which is quite a bit different.

The part about Legacy devices not working with the rest of his system is partially correct. As it stands now (Sonos does not have any solutions worked out, only potential solutions), people will either have to split their systems into two losing the ability to group legacy and non-legacy devices, or they can keep non-legacy devices on the same firmware version as the Legacy devices and not receive updates (and also deprecate their ability to play streaming music services).

I’d go as far as to say that your post is far more misleading than his. Your post implies that things are going to continue working as they have and that all his concerns are not true. This is simply not the case. I wish it were.

Since support is only guaranteed for 5 years, I don’t think I can recommend Sonos anymore either (I have previously to dozens of people) for anyone who is interested in whole home/office audio. Paying $15k -$20k every 5 years just isn’t a good ROI in my opinion.

Well it is just as well that that isn't going to happen then,  isn't it? The suggestion that it will be necessary to replace everything every 5 years is one of the biggest misrepresentations on here. I'm going back to enjoying my system now.  See you back here in 10 years?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

You are making factually incorrect statements. The same incorrect statements that have been made countless times on this forum. It is past the point where it is worth contradicting these statements for the umpteenth time.

Do as you wish, of course, but I shall continue to enjoy my Sonos system as I have done for the last 9 years.

Most of what he said the absolutely correct. If you rely on streaming music services, you very well may have obsolete devices come May because Sonos has stated they won’t update software to keep up with them after may. For me, this would definitely make my devices obsolete. For others that mostly stream their own music from a local server, maybe not. Sonos specifically stated that these services would deprecate after May. Their “clarifications” have not contradicted this. They have only not reaffirmed it, which is quite a bit different.

The part about Legacy devices not working with the rest of his system is partially correct. As it stands now (Sonos does not have any solutions worked out, only potential solutions), people will either have to split their systems into two losing the ability to group legacy and non-legacy devices, or they can keep non-legacy devices on the same firmware version as the Legacy devices and not receive updates (and also deprecate their ability to play streaming music services).

I’d go as far as to say that your post is far more misleading than his. Your post implies that things are going to continue working as they have and that all his concerns are not true. This is simply not the case. I wish it were.

Since support is only guaranteed for 5 years, I don’t think I can recommend Sonos anymore either (I have previously to dozens of people) for anyone who is interested in whole home/office audio. Paying $15k -$20k every 5 years just isn’t a good ROI in my opinion.

Well it is just as well that that isn't going to happen then,  isn't it? The suggestion that it will be necessary to replace everything every 5 years is one of the biggest misrepresentations on here. I'm going back to enjoying my system now.  See you back here in 10 years?

How is it a misrepresentation that if you rely on streaming music services and this deprecates after 5 years, you will need to “re-invest” to continue to make it work with streaming music services. You are purposely misleading potential readers. If Sonos continues with their current stance and does not provide updates for this, you won’t be enjoying your system if you use these (Pandora, Spotify, etc). See you in May?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

[...] And as mentioned, the team is going to try and provide bug fixes in the future for legacy devices, as the hardware permits.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969/index135.html#post16403824

Repeating the very same over and over again is tedious.

Bug fixes are not “updates”. In the original communications, it was stated that “updates” would be required to keep streaming music services going. In the clarification a few days later, it was reiterated that Legacy devices would not receive updates, but they would receive “bug fixes”. So, this statement does nothing to ameliorate concern about streaming music services deprecating.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

How is it a misrepresentation that if you rely on streaming music services and this deprecates after 5 years, you will need to “re-invest” to continue to make it work with streaming music services. You are purposely misleading potential readers. If Sonos continues with their current stance and does not provide updates for this, you won’t be enjoying your system if you use these (Pandora, Spotify, etc). See you in May?

The situation you’re describing is highly unlikely.  First off, Sonos has promised regular updates for 5 years after a product is discontinued.  Based on Sonos history, the majority of Sonos products have been supported much longer than that.  In terms of buying a new Sonos, the majority of products are new releases over the past couple years, and it is very likely they will not be discontinued any time soon.  Even the older products that are still for sale have twice the memory of legacy products.  Personally, I think it’s logical to avoid the playbar because a better replacement could be coming soon, not because the playbar is likely to lose updates any time soon.

Regarding what bug fixes means, we do not know how extensive a change Sonos will willing to do, nor whether the hardware could handle it.  But these sort of changes are rare.   I do think that if Pandora makes a change to their service, they will likely try to make the change within the existing API (and other services APIs).  Where that can't be done, they will surely give Sonos a few months notice before the change so Sonos has time to develop and test.  That means that the chance that a streaming service becomes unavailable on Sonos legacy soon after May very unlikely.

For customers that have a significant (whatever they think that is)  investment in legacy products, it makes a lot of sense to wait till May, and probably several months after, before buying another speaker.  It’s highly unlikely that anything will happen to your system and you’ll likely know what changes Sonos has made in modern systems, and perhaps new products.  You can then use the trade in program to replace legacy products or get something different.  

You have a lot of trust in a company that has gone out of their way to be less than forthright about all of this. I hope you’re right, and my plan is to sit tight until my services deprecate, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be happy about the uncertainty, buy any new products or recommend Sonos to friends. I also won’t be “upgrading” if and when my devices stop working with streaming services.