Question

Do I need a Sonos Connect if I have a Play:5?

• 7 January 2015
  • 8 replies

I am considering the Sonos system but need to be able to play my existing CD collection from a conventional CD player. I understand both the Sonos Connect and the Play:5 have an Analogue In option.

As far as I can tell the Connect is required if you also want to have an Analogue Out to existing amp with speakers, but if this is not a concern, is there any reason to buy a Connect if you already have a Play:5?

A related question is: if my CD player is already connected to an Amp, can I connect the Amp to the Connect or Play:5 or does the CD player need to be connected directly to the Sonos gear?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The analog in of the connect is pretty much the same as the analog in on the Play:5 (just one has RCA plugs and the other a 3.5mm input).

You can hook the CD player direct or use the analog out from your amplifier if you wish (usually the Tape Out is a good analog output from amplifier - although surprisingly newer amps are doing away with analog ouputs/tape outputs).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
P.S.  Not like anyone else has not said this but you REALLY need to burn all of those CD's to a hard drive so you have them all at your fingertips to play.

I did a long time ago and good riddens to that whole box of CDs I tucked away in a closet.
P.S. 
Chris,

Thanks for the replies. Agree on the need to burn CDs but not everyone in the household agrees this is the way to go! At the moment we don't even play most of the music as it is so hard to get to.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
P.S. 
Burn about a dozen of them and then show them how easy it is to bring them up in the Sonos app and they will be SOLD
Badge
I have a house with many small rooms spread out over a long line. I had left my lovely vintage AR speakers, Technics SL-1700 Turntable & ok amp/tuner & 15 linear feet of records (!) in CA and was music-free until last summer when I got a Sonos1 -- which is now in my small living room;I have been using it for streaming music from devices and on line radio stations happily.

Now I am in the process of retrieving and setting up my old stereo turntable and many records in a VERY small room (7' x 13'). Also cd's I will set up the turntable, amp/receiver, cd player, (but leave the huge AR speakers in CA, (anyone looking?) since my 1760's house here in MA has such small rooms). I had thought to buy a Sonos Connect + some kind of small speaker(s) for the room where the turntable etc. will be, but it looks like I could just buy the play 5.

I understand that the Play5 can provide music to a much larger room. two other rooms open off this small room so the music will go there as well. I'd like to minimize objects, wires and $$. My question: can the Play5 (be turned down to provide music in such a small space, or is it really better in a large space-- in which case I should get the connect plus some small speakers or another Play 1?

thanks for your thoughts
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I understand that the Play5 can provide music to a much larger room. two other rooms open off this small room so the music will go there as well. I'd like to minimize objects, wires and $$. My question: can the Play5 (be turned down to provide music in such a small space, or is it really better in a large space-- in which case I should get the connect plus some small speakers or another Play 1?

thanks for your thoughts

The PLAY:5 works and sounds just fine at low volumes, especially with Loudness enabled. As with all speakers, it's best to listen to one and confirm for yourself.

What you'll miss versus two small speakers is stereo separation -- the PLAY:5 is a stereo speaker, but the L/R channels are (of course) very close together. Two PLAY:1s in a stereo pair would overcome this.
Badge
Thanks for that. I probably won't buy 2 Play ones, at this point, though I may decide to buy another later. If I buy the connect plus the Play one, I can leave the connect in the "media room" and move the speaker to a more-used adjacent room, which will suit me better, I think.
Badge
BTW, I am not at all impressed with the Play5 vs Play1. As soon as my amp get here I'll compare again. Also since the AR-2ax's are selling for $300-$500 / pair on ebay, I decided to spend the $50 and ship them...