Do I need a HDMI Switcher with Beam?

• 20 October 2019
  • 3 replies

I am currently using an A/V receiver that I’d like to eliminate once I set up my beam.  However my tv only has 3 available HDMI ports, 1 of which is ARC.  That leaves me with 2 HDMI ports to connect an Apple TV, xbox, cable box, Wii, and Nintendo switch.  How can I connect these other devices?

3 replies

The short answer is yes, you’ll be served by an HDMI switch. Connect all of the devices to the switch, connect the switch to the TV, and the Beam to the TV’s single HDMI-ARC port. Anything you push through the switch to the TV will play on the Sonos, assuming it’s of the correct format (Dolby Digital or stereo, but not Dolby Digital Plus or DTS, or Dolby Atmos).

The short answer is yes, you’ll be served by an HDMI switch. Connect all of the devices to the switch, connect the switch to the TV, and the Beam to the TV’s single HDMI-ARC port. Anything you push through the switch to the TV will play on the Sonos, assuming it’s of the correct format (Dolby Digital or stereo, but not Dolby Digital Plus or DTS, or Dolby Atmos).

Is there a switch you would recommend?

I don’t have any experience with any of them, sorry. I’d probably go by ratings on Amazon, but that’d be a guess, there’s so much gaming of that system. Look for one that has the features you like, and then pick the second least expensive one. :)

I always assume there’s something wrong with the least expensive one!