Answered

Disappointed with Playbar music playback

• 3 November 2015
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The compressed setting adds additional delay on top of the 70ms of uncompressed, so it's even more noticeable. I believe the compressed delay is 2000ms (2 seconds).

As Josh suggested, likely there's some interference or network latency causing the cutouts when you're on uncompressed. I'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic to see. If you set it back to uncompressed and get some more cutouts, mind following the steps here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

Thanks

Thanks for the answer Ryan!
I will try to send a diagnostic during the week-end.
I couldn't take it any more, so I went and got 2 more Play 1s and now use those with the sub for music, the Playbar has been relegated back to being on its own for the TV. The Play 1s + Sub are even better than the Play 3s + Sub for music playback in my opinion! Apart from having to spend another £300 quid I am much happier with the music quality. I tried the 5.1 setup for music but as the Playbar is the primary speaker it is still painful to listen to.

Is there any way of quickly moving the sub back and forth between the Playbar and the pair of Play 1s? I mostly listen to music rather than watch the TV, so if not I will leave it connected to the Play 1s.
I couldn't take it any more, so I went and got 2 more Play 1s and now use those with the sub for music, the Playbar has been relegated back to being on its own for the TV. The Play 1s + Sub are even better than the Play 3s + Sub for music playback in my opinion! Apart from having to spend another £300 quid I am much happier with the music quality. I tried the 5.1 setup for music but as the Playbar is the primary speaker it is still painful to listen to.

Is there any way of quickly moving the sub back and forth between the Playbar and the pair of Play 1s? I mostly listen to music rather than watch the TV, so if not I will leave it connected to the Play 1s.

Unfortunately the way to do this will get tedious rapidly, so in your case the Sub is best left bonded for music.
Your experience reinforces my sense that a better compromise is to use a 5 pair - for its line in that is missing in the play 1 - for music and TV. It would be no compromise for music, and will probably work just as well as play bar for TV, although not as well as a AVR based multi speaker set up, that a play bar also can't match, would. And with a 5 pair, even a Sub may not be necessary.

For music though I agree that little can do better than a properly placed 1 pair + Sub. Even from the audiophile realms, except at a price point that is higher in multiples.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
So are people saying that FOR MUSIC ONLY a pair of play:5s plus sub sounds better on its own then a pair of play:5s, a SUB and a playbar?
Or that a pair of play:1s plus SUB is better for music then a pair of play:1s, a SUB and the playbar all bonded???

I currently have a play:1, SUB, playbar setup in one zone and was going to swap it for the 5s as rear but didn't realize the playbar being bonded is actually hampering my music sound...
So are people saying that
Instead of puzzling your way through what is being said, far better would be to test for yourself since you have the kit and it is easy to do so.
See how your music sounds with/without play bar added to the set up of 1 pair + Sub, and decide next steps based on that assessment - which assessment would be interesting to hear about here as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I'm wondering if others believe this-found this to be the case
Adding a play bar to a 1 pair+ Sub will almost always degrade the sound, if stereo imaging is the quality criterion.

But in this, the proof of the pudding is in how it tastes to you. if it tastes better, it is better.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings