Dilemma, just got gifted a Sonos One

• 18 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Today I've got two Play:1s. One in the kitchen and one in the living room (see pic). Today I got gifted a new Sonos One. I'm debating returning it and buy a play:5 for the living room and to move one play:1 to the bedroom.
Would that be overkill for my small apartment? I normally listen at around 30% volume.

My other option is to replace my Sony HT-380 sound bar with dedicated sub with the Sonos Beam.

Third option is just to keep the One and add it to my setup.
What would you do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There clearly isn't a 'correct' answer here. But a would use the two existing speakers as a stereo pair in the living area. A pair of Play:1s will give you a stereo image and a richer sound than just one speaker, even if you are not using anything like its full volume capability. Use the One in the kitchen. If you are happy with the performance of your Sony soundbar, keep it.

As this is the zero cost solution, and possibly the best, it has to be worth trying first.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A pair of 1s really does sound a lot better than a single speaker as you can get a stereo image. I'd try paring the 1s as suggested as a first step.

A pair of 3s might work instead of a 5 too, better stereo image and they don't sound bad at all. If you can do a listening test at a dealer I'd make the effort to do that.
There clearly isn't a 'correct' answer here (...)
A pair of 1s really does sound a lot better than a single speaker as you can get a stereo image. I'd try paring the 1s as suggested as a first step (...)

Thanks for your answer. The problem is that it's not possible to do a stereo pair with optimal listening in a sweet spot at the moment. The speakers would be very close or at different heights.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you considered wall or ceiling mounts? That would give you the chance to get them in a corner location that would help the low frequency response.

The Play 5 isn't a bad option, might look at the new mini Playbar Sonos just released too if that is a TV I see on the wall there.

Not too shabby at around $400 US: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam.html
Hi all,
I got the Play:5. Great speaker! I love the low-end. I think its the better speaker for my use.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Play:5. for the win. You already know what the Play:1/Sonos One sound like. The Play:5 kicks it up a few notches plus gives you Aux inputs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
[Thanks for your answer. The problem is that it's not possible to do a stereo pair with optimal listening in a sweet spot at the moment. The speakers would be very close or at different heights.

I had a similar problem - I have one Play:1 on a piece of furniture and one Play:1 on a stand with height adjustment. I have adjusted the position and height of the stand to give me the best speaker placing the room can offer - at least the speakers are placed at the same height and equally spaced from the centre of the room. The sound is a step up from a Play:3 and I am enjoying the stereo seperation, but I can't compare to a Play:5