Answered

Plans for cinema and games room

• 10 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all

I am designing the speakers for our new games room and cinema room. The layout is:

a rectangular shaped room (roughly 10m x 5m) one half has a pool table and bar, the other has a large 85inch flat screen being built into the wall. 

I’m looking for a system that primarily is for the TV but is also great for music. 

We have sonos all over the house currently 

my current thinking is a combination sub, arc and something for surround...which is where my question is; 

do I get in ceiling speakers and if so, how many do I need? Is the arc&sub enough for the cinema area and would two in ceiling speakers work at the back around the pool area? Or do I need 4 in ceiling  + arc and sub? 
final thought is if it’s 4 I need, then should I get in ceiling for all 4, or 2 wall speakers either side of the TV with 2 in ceiling at the back?

thanks - any tips would be welcome!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 January 2021, 21:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Your room is small enough where you could get the Arc/Sub/in-ceiling speakers for your home theater side and get a pair of Sonos Fives for the bar side. But if you have the budget, you could get two more in-ceiling speakers installed above the pool table instead of getting the Fives. But this option would require another Amp.

Thanks guitar superstar! Really appreciate it. 

Do you think I could get away with just 2 in ceiling speakers, located a little further back around the pool table? Instead of the 5’s?

and in your set up would you have the 5’s as part of the TV system or have them separate?

Userlevel 7

You could probably get away with just the two in-ceiling speakers above your pool table. You would lose some audio at the bar area though. But you could always add one or two Sonos One SLs at your bar later. And because the in-ceiling speakers will be further from your seating location when watching TV, you may have to adjust the volume of the surrounds.

You cannot add any more speakers to the 5.1.2 Arc/Sub/in-ceiling speakers setup other than a second Sub (Gen 3). The maximum number of channels you can achieve is 5.2.2. If you want the TV audio to play out of the Fives too, you would just “group” them with the TV setup.