Answered

connecting turntable to Sonos.

I’ve recently bought a turntable which has a wired output and Bluetooth and built in pre-amp. I don’t have a separate amp so I am currently using it with a Bluetooth speaker. 

However ideally I’d like to be able to play it through my Sonos system. I have been researching options, but looking for help / advice!

1. Sonos Play 5 - could connect directly to the turntable and presumably it would be able to play out of my other existing Sonos speakers at the same time. 
  2. Sonos Move - I could connect via Bluetooth to my turntable, however I am not sure if it would play out of the other Sonos speakers at the same time? As I would have to toggle it onto Bluetooth, presumably this effective disconnects it from the wider system? 
  3. Sonos Amp - would make sense, but seems unnecessary for me - the Play 5 would work just as well for what i want and give me the advantage of another speaker
  4. Sonos Port - I cant understand this fully - would this only work for me if i had a separate amp to connect the turntable to? Or could I connect my turntable directly to the port?

Sorry for all the probably really simple questions, I’ve been reading so much i cant work out what is the right answer!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 13 April 2020, 15:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Kcirtapuk 

Here are your answers:

#1 Play 5 will work and you can group it to other Sonos

#2 If the Move supports the TT’s Blu-Tooth codec the answer is yes for connection.* The Move supports the standard AAC and SBC Bluetooth codecs. Grouping is not possible using Blu-Tooth connection. 

#3 Sonos Amp is another option if you want to use 3rd party speakers

#4 The Port accepts the RCA-In from TT. You would select a Sonos speaker or stereo pair as Auto-Play so music would begin as soon as TT play begins. You’d also want to lower the volume of that speaker so as not to damage it or your ears. You could adjust volume via the Sonos App. Grouping is possible.

* I only make that qualifying statement because a poster owned a projector whose Blu-Tooth codec was not supported by the Move. It is a rarity IMO.

Does the connection from a preamp to a sonos play 5 work if the play 5 is a gen 1 speaker?

Does the connection from a preamp to a sonos play 5 work if the play 5 is a gen 1 speaker?

Yes, the turntable will work connected to the line-in of a Play 5 gen1.

Userlevel 7

Yes

Userlevel 7

@Ken_Griffiths 

Our posts crossed again. LOL

If I wanted to keep my cost down….would a used Sonos Connect do just as well? In other words, could I connect my turntable to the Connect and then it would become a  music “source” ? I understand the turntable would need a pre-amp...or does the Connect have that. 

BTW, I know the Port does this, but it is pricey...and the Play 5 would work, but I don’t need that speaker in the room where the turntable lives

If I wanted to keep my cost down….would a used Sonos Connect do just as well? In other words, could I connect my turntable to the Connect and then it would become a  music “source” ? I understand the turntable would need a pre-amp...or does the Connect have that. 

BTW, I know the Port does this, but it is pricey...and the Play 5 would work, but I don’t need that speaker in the room where the turntable lives

Yes a Sonos Connect would work fine. The Turntable attached will need a pre-amp.

Note: the post-2015 Sonos Connect‘s are S2 compatible  but earlier models may work only on the Sonos S1 platform, so you may want to check that matter with the seller, depending on your own system requirements.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I currently have a port upstairs with a “wired” turntable, BUT i just bought this $99 dollar bluetooth from target (heyday) and it works with the sonos move. It works great, sounds great.. I’m very pleased with this solution. so now i have one turntable upstairs (Audio Technica AT LP120) which works great thorughout the house wifi, and then the Target Heyday bluetooth one that works with the sonos move in bluetooth mode.. so stoked!

I have a Sonos Connect and a TT with a preamp.  How do I connect the TT to the Connect?   I have already created a channel on the Connect called “turntable”.  Now what? Is there a wireless method or does it have to be hard-lined?  Thank you!

I have a Sonos Connect and a TT with a preamp.  How do I connect the TT to the Connect?   I have already created a channel on the Connect called “turntable”.  Now what? Is there a wireless method or does it have to be hard-lined?  Thank you!

You need to connect the TT line-out to the RCA audio line-in. The line-in, once active, will appear on your Sonos App ‘Browse/Services’ tab and can be selected as an input source to play the Turntable audio on any chosen Sonos Room, or Group of Rooms, which may, or may not, include the Connect Room itself… you can manually choose the room(s).

Also in the Connect settings in the Sonos App "Settings/System/[Connect Room]’ you will discover that there are many additional features, including Autoplay options for the Line-In audio too. You can auto-play to a chosen room (and it’s grouped rooms) at a chosen pre-selected volume.

Hope that helps to get you started - also see the Sonos Connect user manual here;

Sonos Connect

So if I have a bluetooth turntable, can I use bluetooth to connect to the move speaker by itself? My son tells me this will NOT work and I don’t understand why.

So if I have a bluetooth turntable, can I use bluetooth to connect to the move speaker by itself? My son tells me this will NOT work and I don’t understand why.

I don’t see why not, once the speaker has been setup on the local Wifi network and switched to Bluetooth (pairing) mode and as long as the Bluetooth profile is compatible with the Move. The only real way to know that is to actually try it.

I can say that the Move works with my LG TV Bluetooth connection, (not the best example, I suppose) but in that case i am able to see/select the Move device to pair with its Bluetooth connection, hopefully your turntable will auto-seek/select to pair with the Move when it’s placed nearby in pairing mode.

So I would certainly give it a try. Nothing ventured and all that....

The only reason I would think it may not is incompatible versions of the Bluetooth profile. But I’d agree, nothing ventured, no knowledge gained.