Answered

Connecting SONOS speakers to existing hi-fi query.

• 24 November 2016
  • 1 reply

Hi guys,

I'm new to the SONOS forum, looking at purchasing several speakers soon, however I'm just curious with how the SONOS will work.

I currently own a mini Hi-FI system, the Sony CMT-G2BNiP.

Ideally I'd like to purchase a Play:5 and perhaps two Play:1's, and connect them to my TV and set them up as a surround sound setup.

I'm wondering if it's possible to keep my current Sony speakers, and add them to this system. My understanding is I would have to purchase the Connect:Amp to do this?

Would appreciate any advice on achieving this setup,

Cheers,
Tom.
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 November 2016, 11:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Ideally I'd like to purchase a Play:5 and perhaps two Play:1's, and connect them to my TV and set them up as a surround sound setup.
You wouldn't get 5.1 surround out of this setup. The PLAY:5 would produce stereo (within the one speaker). A PLAY:1 pair would produce stereo. You could optionally group them together to play in sync.

Another point to consider is that a Line-In connection through Sonos incurs a 70ms delay. This may be enough to upset the lip-sync with the TV picture. It depends how sensitive you are to such things.

The PLAYBAR is designed for use with a TV. PLAY:1s can be added as proper surround speakers, and the delay is low enough (30ms) for most people not to notice.

I'm wondering if it's possible to keep my current Sony speakers, and add them to this system. My understanding is I would have to purchase the Connect:Amp to do this?.

Yes, a CONNECT:AMP will drive conventional speakers.