Question

Connecting Sonos Connect Amp to a TV

I'm looking at buying a Sonos Connect Amp, however there are a couple of issues that are stopping me going straight ahead. I wonder if someone could help me out: My TV does not have an analogue output. It only has a digital output or a headphones output. I've been told the digital output, once converted to analogue produces a time lag between video and audio. Is there a way to combat this? Will the audio quality be adversely effected if i choose to use the headphones output to go direct to the audio inputs on the amp? (3.5mm jack > Red/White phono). Any advice is appreciated! Dave

14 replies

I have tried using an analogue output to feed the sonos system and there is still a delay which means that the picture and sound is out of sync. There is a definate delay in the sonos system reproducing the sound, even from music from a CD player. I have not yet found a way to address this so unfortunately cannot succesfully use sonos for TV sound or to combine it with another sound system!
Oh dear, that doesn't sound ideal. I've been told that there is a "PC app" that may be able to help with the delay. I'd like to get 100% confirmation that there is a permanent fix for it before I invest though. Don't suppose anyone has used this? Knows if this app can be used on the mac for the same purpose? Or knows of any other way to solve the sync issue? Cheers Dave
How do i get a response from a Sonos employee on this? I just need a definitive answer on the above. Thanks Dave
Badge
Hi David I have a Connect: Amp, which I've successfully hooked up to my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-40EX653). I used the 3.5mm headphone output of the TV, connected to the Connect: Amp phono / RCA input. It works really well. There are no issues with the quality, nor is there any noticeable delay. I set up the Sonos software to deal with the line in input from the TV headphone out as follows: - Line in audio compression: OFF (With it switched on, there is a delay. When I switched it off, no delay). - Autoplay on (the clever gadgetry of the Connect: Amp automatically detects when there is a line in signal from the TV, and plays the audio from the TV when the TV is on, and turns off the audio when the TV is off). - Autoplay automatic volume: ON (so that, when the TV is turned on, the volume of the Connect: Amp reverts to your desired preset volume). - Line in level: 8-10 (this is relatively high (goes up to 10), to compensate for the weak level outputted by the TV's headphone out). The great thing about using the 3.5mm TV out is that you can also control the volume / mute using your TV remote (or, in my case, Sky remote). Because the Sonos has the autoplay / autovolume features, there is no issue of a buzz or bad levels in between or during TV use. As I say, this set up works really well for me. Some users seem to experience audio delay. However, I am not sure if they do so when using the 3.5mm headphone out of the TV. I can't see why they would if compression is turned off on the Sonos, because the headphone jack of the TV is obviously engineered to coincide with the video of the TV.
@Siddarth, Thanks for the tip above. Setting the input level to 10 and using Autoplay works a treat for me. No sound delay on my LG LM640T - as expected since there is no signal conversion from audio:audio. For others, the required lead from a TV headphone output to the amp is 3.5mm male to RCA male.
Hi David I have a Connect: Amp, which I've successfully hooked up to my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-40EX653). I used the 3.5mm headphone output of the TV, connected to the Connect: Amp phono / RCA input. It works really well. There are no issues with the quality, nor is there any noticeable delay. I set up the Sonos software to deal with the line in input from the TV headphone out as follows: - Line in audio compression: OFF (With it switched on, there is a delay. When I switched it off, no delay). - Autoplay on (the clever gadgetry of the Connect: Amp automatically detects when there is a line in signal from the TV, and plays the audio from the TV when the TV is on, and turns off the audio when the TV is off). - Autoplay automatic volume: ON (so that, when the TV is turned on, the volume of the Connect: Amp reverts to your desired preset volume). - Line in level: 8-10 (this is relatively high (goes up to 10), to compensate for the weak level outputted by the TV's headphone out). The great thing about using the 3.5mm TV out is that you can also control the volume / mute using your TV remote (or, in my case, Sky remote). Because the Sonos has the autoplay / autovolume features, there is no issue of a buzz or bad levels in between or during TV use. As I say, this set up works really well for me. Some users seem to experience audio delay. However, I am not sure if they do so when using the 3.5mm headphone out of the TV. I can't see why they would if compression is turned off on the Sonos, because the headphone jack of the TV is obviously engineered to coincide with the video of the TV.
Brilliant! Many thanks for your advice, i'll give it a go. Cheers Dave
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I see all of the line in settings except for compression. Is this compression setting in another location???
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I see all of the line in settings except for compression. Is this compression setting in another location???
Hello, try the following: 'Settings' / 'Advance Settings' / 'Audio Compression'
I wondered the same thing. Seems there's no compression setting on apps but you can find it on controllers for PC and Mac. Download links are provided in this thread: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/please_download_the_latest_sonos_controller
Just to be even clearer: The 'Audio Compression' setting is NOT available on the iPad app, but you can find it in the PC app (as described above)
Even if you turn the Sonos 'Audio Compression' off (as described above) there will still be a delay, although much shorter (=better).

Btw, a good way to tweak the delay is to turn on both the TV sound and the sound from the Sonos Amp (if your TV allows for this). You can then *hear* the delay. This makes it easier to judge whether or not a certain setting (either on your TV or on your Sonos Amp)  has a positive effect on the delay. Especially when listening to speech or music this is quite effective.

For example, on my old Samsung LE32R32 LCD TV, I found that when I turn OFF the 'Game Mode' the delay is shortened a little bit. Presumably because the TV image is then delayed a little bit (due to the image processing) thus getting a little bit more in sync with the sound from Sonos Amp (which is still a little bit more delayed)

(Game Mode ON  = Image Processing OFF = Image is earlier = more delay with delayed Sonos sound)
(Game Mode OFF = Image Processing ON = Image is later = less delay with delayed Sonos sound)
Even if you turn the Sonos 'Audio Compression' off (as described above) there will still be a delay, although much shorter (=better).

Btw, a good way to tweak the delay is to turn on both the TV sound and the sound from the Sonos Amp (if your TV allows for this). You can then *hear* the delay. This makes it easier to judge whether or not a certain setting (either on your TV or on your Sonos Amp)  has a positive effect on the delay. Especially when listening to speech or music this is quite effective.

For example, on my old Samsung LE32R32 LCD TV, I found that when I turn OFF the 'Game Mode' the delay is shortened a little bit. Presumably because the TV image is then delayed a little bit (due to the image processing) thus getting a little bit more in sync with the sound from Sonos Amp (which is still a little bit more delayed)

(Game Mode ON  = Image Processing OFF = Image is earlier = more delay with delayed Sonos sound)
(Game Mode OFF = Image Processing ON = Image is later = less delay with delayed Sonos sound)

Hope anyone can help me out: I copied what Siddharth wrote and added my questions. - Line in audio compression: OFF (With it switched on, there is a delay. When I switched it off, no delay). I can only choose one of three settings: Automatic, uncompressed and compressed. What do I choose? - Autoplay on (the clever gadgetry of the Connect: Amp automatically detects when there is a line in signal from the TV, and plays the audio from the TV when the TV is on, and turns off the audio when the TV is off). Is this toogled on and off on my TV or Sonos? - Autoplay automatic volume: ON (so that, when the TV is turned on, the volume of the Connect: Amp reverts to your desired preset volume). Same question; Is this toogled on and off on my TV or Sonos? - Line in level: 8-10 (this is relatively high (goes up to 10), to compensate for the weak level outputted by the TV's headphone out). Same question; Is this toogled on and off on my TV or Sonos? Hope someone can answer my questions! /Mads

You choose "uncompressed" which is the same as "compression off"

All of the other settings are "toggled" in the Sonos Controller App (PC version has these for sure)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings