Question

Connecting media room

• 9 June 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a marantz nr 1607 receiver connected to surround sound speakers, tv, game, apple tv and dvr. I want to be able to connect this system to sonos. I have sonos beam and ones used as back speakerHos on another tv set up. I would like to be able to get the media room hooked up to sonos. I also have a zone 2 set up on the marantz receiver that powers speakers by the pool. How can I accomplish this?

6 replies

You can use a Sonos Port to get a stereo signal to an amplifier. There is no Sonos device that outputs a full home theater signal to an external device. 

You may also want to look at getting a separate Sonos amp to power your speakers by the pool.  This would allow you to more easily control the speakers and allow you to play different audio outside and in the media room.

You can use a Sonos Port to get a stereo signal to an amplifier. There is no Sonos device that outputs a full home theater signal to an external device. 

I’m a newbie to this system. What would I be able to do with this setup? Would it add sonos control of the system or just add sonos music?

You may also want to look at getting a separate Sonos amp to power your speakers by the pool.  This would allow you to more easily control the speakers and allow you to play different audio outside and in the media room.

I thought about that

I’m a newbie to this system. What would I be able to do with this setup? Would it add sonos control of the system or just add sonos music?

There are some Onkyo/Pioneer receivers that Sonos can control, but not Marantz as far as I know.  So you would need to place the receiver to the right audio input if it can’t sense input, or switch input based on the 12V tringger (I don’t know).  Sonos would control the streaming music.  As for volume, you can set the Port to play a fixed volume, where your receiver fully controls volume, or varialble, where you can adjust both Sonos and receiver to set the right volume.

I have an onkyo receiver in the bedroom but put the marantz in the tv stand in the media room as the onkyo runs so hot. I put a computer fan in the cabinet in the bedroom as it has a lot less things in it and that takes care of the heat. I wanted to use the marantz as it’s a slim model with good airflow. 

I may have to go back to the onkyo and get a newer model that works with sonos. I’ll have to figure out the heat issue. I may have to cut openings in the back of the cabinet for fans