Connecting devices to speakers via 3mm jack/audio cable.

• 20 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello, Sonos community

Until I can afford a smart TV and a beam to go with it, I'm hoping for a possibility of connecting devices that have a 3mm input (smart phone/tablet/laptop etc.) to my stereo pair of Play:1s. It seems a waste to use the tinny speakers of whatever handheld device I'm viewing on when two brilliant speakers are sitting there at my disposal.
Am I right in thinking that either the Connect, Connect:Amp, or Amp, could be used to plug the tablet/phone into, in order to play the audio through my stereo pair of Play:1s? I may have misunderstood their purpose entirely, but if there may be a temporary solution in there I'd appreciate any help you guys have to offer.

Thanks

Joe

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Amp, Connect:Amp, Connect, and Play:5 are the current Sonos devices with analog Line-In connections, which will accept input from mobile device outputs. The Line-In input can be sent to any or all Sonos players. If you’re technically handy, you can also find instructions implementing Line-In using something like a Raspberry Pi, a sound input, and IceCast.

Bear in mind that there will be playback delays, making this non-ideal for use cases with video. The minimum delay is 75ms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd consider a Connect, if the price is too steep and you want to risk used a ZP-80 will be cheaper.

Using a Raspberry Pi is a possibility, if the built in audio isn't good enough they make a variety of HAT audio devices with better sound. I haven't looked at streaming an audio source from the PI to Sonos but I do seem to recall some posts about that here.

I love my Pi an M.2 SSD HAT for a Sonos / SMB v1 NAS or as a non-SMB v1 NAS to SMB v1 gateway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Using a Raspberry Pi is a possibility, if the built in audio isn't good enough they make a variety of HAT audio devices with better sound.
Since this is a sound input to the Pi, not output, additional hardware is definitely required as the Pi has no built-in sound inputs. There's an example of how to do this at [1]. Incidentally, you can also turn the Pi into a Bluetooth receiver for Sonos, using its built in BT radio [2].

[1] https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/
[2] https://www.instructables.com/id/Play-Bluetooth-on-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/