Question

Connect:Amp vs Connect with NAD Receiver for JBL speakers

• 27 January 2017
  • 3 replies

New to Sonos with a Connect:Amp running a couple of ceiling speakers quite nicely.
My question concerns a vintage stereo system with very nice JBL Control Monitor speakers and a partially dead NAD 7020 integrated receiver. Is it better to repair/replace the receiver and add a Connect - no amp thereby being able to connect turntable etc. and still use the JBLs ... or junk the receiver and add the Connect:Amp. Looks like for the $150 cost difference in the Connect vs. Connect:Amp, I'm better to keep/fix or replace the receiver. Seems a break even proposition. Will the Connect:Amp be equal to the NAD is powering the JBLs? Am I missing something?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I don't think the Connect Amp will have any trouble powering the JBLs so that should not be the deciding factor for which way to go. Instead you should be thinking about how you are going to be using audio in that particular location.

If you want to be able to control music in that room from the Sonos app without having to go manually turn on the receiver then the Connect Amp is the way to go.

If you have legacy devices like a turntable or cassette deck connected to the receiver that you want to keep using and integrate into the Sonos network then the Connect plus a new receiver is the way to go.

The $150 cost difference is not a valid factor for this decision. Pick the solution that most closely matches what you want to do.
Also bear in mind that the Connect Amp will mean one less box and footprint reduction; more good reasons to go that route. But first be sure that the speakers are in good working order before spending money on giving them a source.
Badge +20
Personally I would repair the NAD if cost effective, you still then get to use the tuner/radio and have a headphone socket if needed. The 7020 is essentially the 3020 without the tuner, a classic amp and quite capable.