Question

Connect vintage hifi to Sonos?

• 24 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone, trying to find a solution here! 

I have a Sonos beam and a couple of symfonisk speakers set up with my TV. I also have in the same room a Yamaha turntable and receiver from the late 70s, wired up to a couple of old B&W speakers. Would love to ditch the B&Ws and stream directly from the receiver to the Sonos, but for the life of me I can’t work out what I’d need to achieve this. The turntable is powered via the receiver. 

If it helps any, the receiver is a Yamaha CR-620. 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If the receiver has a tape out you could buy a Sonos Port to get the music from the turntable through the receiver into the Sonos system. If your turntable has a built in preamp or you would get a phono preamp, you could connect the turntable/preamp to the Port directly and lose the receiver too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mizdring.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I definitely agree with @106rallye. The Sonos Port would be the best choice to go to integrate your turntable with the Sonos system. Let me share with you the Sonos Port specification, functionalities, and limitations to better understand how the Sonos Port works.

Please let us know or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I always suggest that people consider a Sonos Five instead of a Port.  The difference in cost is not so great, but you get a great speaker not just a line in.  It depends on what you want to do with the receiver and B&W speakers - are you determined to ditch those?  Because if you did buy a Port you could connect its output to an input on your receiver, and connect your turntable to the line-in on the Port.  Then you could play all your music sources, including the turntable, on your receiver/B&Ws and/or your Sonos speakers.