Answered

Connect turntable and tv to sonos speakers

• 2 April 2020
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Dear Sonos Community

I want to set up a sonos sound system at home, but need a little help. I have a turntable with a phono preamp and a samsung tv 6 series (ue50ku6072). My aim is to have just one main sonos speaker (ideally the play 5 or the beam).

I know that the play 5 is not suitable for TV. 

Would this problem be solved if I bought a sonos port  and connect the tv and the turntable with this port?

Sorry about my layman’s term and many thanks for your help.

All the best

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 2 April 2020, 17:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Would this problem be solved if I bought a sonos port  and connect the tv and the turntable with this port?

You don’t want to do that as the Port is not designed for TV use either.  Besides, it only has one input, so it’s really only good for your turntable.  You need to use one of the Sonos products designed for TV use...playbar, playbase, beam or Sonos amp.  The amp actually has inputs for TV and for an aux devices, so you could connect to TV and turntable with a single device.  However, you would need to provide your own speakers in that case.

So essentially, your options are Beam + Port or a Sonos Amp + your own passive speakers.  Also, if your turntable doesn’t have a built in preamp, you will need a separate prepamp.

Thanks Danny, this is really helpful. Then I need to buy the sonos amp + sonos speakers (beam, sonos one etc - there are more possibilities). Right?

Thanks Danny, this is really helpful. Then I need to buy the sonos amp + sonos speakers (beam, sonos one etc - there are more possibilities). Right?

The options I gave you were the minimum for what you were wanting to achieve.  You can always add more speakers for more rooms and such.

But to you specific question, you’ll want to use passive speakers (regular speakers that connect by speaker wire) with an amp.  If you aren’t going to do that, then a Port is your better option for playing the turntable  with a Bema for the TV. 

To explain further, Sonos is a multiroom system at it’s core, and it buffers/delays audio in order to accomplish this.  The exception is TV audio, which needs to be in sync with the video, and therefore no delay.  Only the device listed previously can play the TV audio without delay, the Port and Play:5 cannot.

All sonos devices can group together to play music in sync.  When playing TV audio though, only the device connected to the TV will play in sync with the video, while others will be delayed. (The exception is speakers bonded to the TV connected device...a sub or speakers setup for surround). 

So if you got an amp and a Sonos One for example, you’d connect the turntable and TV to the amp, and you could play both to whatever passive speakers you have connected in perfect sync..  The Sonos One would be setup as a separate room that can play the turntable audio fine, but would be delayed with the TV.  So if you aren’t going to use passive speakers (the Sonance speakers on this site are passsive), then there isn’t any value in getting an amp.  You are better off getting a Beam and port.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for your help, Danny. I’ll go with the beam and port!

To save costs, can I get a used Connect to do the same as a Port?

Yes. Be aware that there are two ‘versions’ of the connect, one which is S1 only, so you need to be careful when buying a used version. And no, there is no ‘easy’ way to tell the difference between the two, other than the build date, which is part of the serial number of the device. There are lots of threads about that. 

Looks like you got the same answer in the other thread that you posted the same question in.

Thanks!