Connect for play:3 and sub?

• 4 April 2018
  • 9 replies

I have Connect so that I can plug turntable directly in, but want to stream this in a separate room that has 2 Play:3 speakers, a PlayBar connected to tv, and a Sonos Sub.

Can I stream to all of these speakers directly from the Connect?

I have read that connect:amp is needed for this configuration.

Can someone please confirm?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No problem. Under the settings for the Connect, change the line-in Autoplay to whatever room you want the Connect line-in to default to, and the turntable will play in that room.
Can that room include the sonos subwoofer? I have read that you must use connect:amp to use the sub
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A Connect:Amp can be used to power a 3rd Party Sub as well as 3rd party passive speakers.

You don't need a Connect:Amp as you aren't driving 3rd party speakers. Room in the sense of playing the input to the Connect is a Sonos room which can be 1 Play 1 or A Playbar/Surrounds and Sub.

But the simple answer is that you CAN play to the Sonos Sub that is added to your Playbar. Furthermore you can also group in other Sonos rooms (ie speakers) if you want.
Can that room include the sonos subwoofer? I have read that you must use connect:amp to use the subNo you have misunderstood. In your configuration you are just using the Connect for its line in. The Sub is actually part of the Playbar 'room' or Play:3 'room' and so there is absolutely no problem.
ahhh - ok great, thank you!
Can the sub be added to both the Playbar and the stereo Play:3's separately?

This would be in the event that i don't want the music to come from the playbar, only the Play:3's.

I would only want sound coming from the playbar if i was playing TV directly, in that event, i want the sub included for the playbar - with the option to also include the Play:3's as well (not as 5.1, but it's own grouped stereo sound)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can the sub be added to both the Playbar and the stereo Play:3's separately?

I believe I understand what you are asking so the answer is...No, that is not possible. A sub must be bonded to a Playbar, Playbar w/surrounds or any Stereo pair of the same type (Play 1, Sonos One, Play 3 or Play 5. The bond would have to be broken each time to change the setup and re-bonded to regain the original state.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If I were you I'd set the Play3s as surrounds wit your Sub and Playbar. Then in the controller room settings for that room set the Surrounds option under Music Playback to "Full". This doesn't stop the Playbar entirely when playing music (ie from your Connect) but it mostly does.
Great feedback Stuart thanks!