Answered

CONNECT - Analog IN and OUT at the same time?

• 9 April 2018
  • 7 replies

I want to pipe in audio from an external source into my Sonos system, which I can do with a CONNECT using analog in.

I want this to play on my Sonos speakers, and I also want to play the music on external speakers, which I can do using the analog out RCA output on the CONNECT.

Question: Can I do those both at once on the same CONNECT device? (run in from music source, stream over sonos, and run out to external speakers)

THANK YOU!
icon

Best answer by Chris 9 April 2018, 22:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes

Example: I have my Connect hooked to my desktop computer. I can feed my desktop sound into connect and the sound out of the connect to my desktop speakers. Then at same time stream the same input to other speakers in the house.
Yes. The Line-In and Line-Out are independent. You can play the Line-In to the Line-Out. Or you can play the Line-In to some other room, and stream different music via the Line-Out.
Badge
What about the following scenario: I would like to connect my receiver (AVR) to the line-in of a Connect, so that music is streamed to other Sonos speakers in the group.
If I also link the Connect line-out to the line-in of the AVR (so the other way around), can I also stream music to the Connect (and hence the AVR) and other speakers in the group?
What about the following scenario: I would like to connect my receiver (AVR) to the line-in of a Connect, so that music is streamed to other Sonos speakers in the group.
If I also link the Connect line-out to the line-in of the AVR (so the other way around), can I also stream music to the Connect (and hence the AVR) and other speakers in the group?

Yes. We traditionally suggest that a Connect can be treated -- and wired -- the same as a tape deck. So a REC OUT or equivalent would go to the Connect's Line-In. And the Connect's Line-Out would be wired to a TAPE/AUX IN on the AVR.
Badge
thanks a lot!
Userlevel 2
I thought about this and decided to comment, better late than never I suppose, anyway while I have had my Connect hooked to my desktop computer, the desktop that it was hooked to...suddenly and tragically died. What I did was to work around the issues was to imported my playlists and continue to use the Connect as an output mechanism to an amplifier and to several sub 'sound' systems which works very well. I have access to more than 4 TB of music locally, just the way I like and I can continue to build out my Sonos footprint using the Connect to 'bridge' the gap
I thought about this and decided to comment, better late than never I suppose, anyway while I have had my Connect hooked to my desktop computer, the desktop that it was hooked to...suddenly and tragically died. What I did was to work around the issues was to imported my playlists and continue to use the Connect as an output mechanism to an amplifier and to several sub 'sound' systems which works very well. I have access to more than 4 TB of music locally, just the way I like and I can continue to build out my Sonos footprint using the Connect to 'bridge' the gap
If I understand correctly, given this thread's topic, I think you're saying that with the demise of your computer you had to switch from a Line-In to indexing the 4TB of stored files and playlists directly into the Sonos system. This isn't a "work around". It's the original design basis of the system.

The provision of a Line-In was simply intended to allow the integration of "legacy equipment", where the source content couldn't be accessed via the network.