Answered

Connect:amp and Linn AV5140 speakers

• 31 December 2017
  • 4 replies

I'm considering using the connect:amp to drive my 20 year old Linn AV5140s. The Linn documentation says the amp must deliver at least 60W/4Ohms. Anyone with thoughts or experience using the connect:amp and older high-end floor standing speakers like the 5140s?
icon

Best answer by pwt 16 January 2018, 15:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It is often also necessary to get used to running the Connect Amp at higher volume slider level positions than many modern amps that tend to max out at 60%; although this may be less of a need with 90dB sensitivity speakers.
Yes, that's definitely true. It can give the impression that the Amp is underpowered. That impression is false: the Amp is very loud (and distortion free) at its higher volume settings, and I've never been able to endure taking it to 100%.
It is often also necessary to get used to running the Connect Amp at higher volume slider level positions than many modern amps that tend to max out at 60%; although this may be less of a need with 90dB sensitivity speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm considering using the connect:amp to drive my 20 year old Linn AV5140s. The Linn documentation says the amp must deliver at least 60W/4Ohms. Anyone with thoughts or experience using the connect:amp and older high-end floor standing speakers like the 5140s?
The Connect:Amp is rated as delivering 110W per channel into 4 ohms, so you should be fine from that perspective. The Linn speakers are rated at 90dB, so you should also be OK for efficiency.

My Connect:Amp is driving a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanders, which are 4 ohm impedance and 92dB efficiency -- not dissimilar from the Linns, and this setup sounds good.

Linn specs at the link below, btw:
http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/b/bd/Av5140_info.pdf
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, djdp. Welcome to the community. No specific experience with these devices, though as outlined in the CONNECT:AMP speaker article, they would need to meet the appropriate requirements for impedance and wattage. Please let us know if you have any further questions.