Question

connect a turntable

• 12 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi I have a play bar and sonos one’s as surrounds in my lounge. I would like to hook up a turntable to the existing set up. Question, would a 1st gen sonos connect do the same job as the new port? im trying token the cost down as I want to buy a turntable also. looking at spending £300 on the turn table. also any suggestions…. cheers, Ian 

3 replies

A first gen Connect means pre-2015, which would allow you to use the turntable but would anchor your system in Sonos S1.  Not a good idea.  A post-2015 Connect (now known as gen 2) would be better.  Or a pre-owned Play:5 gen 2 maybe?  That way you get a great speaker, not just a line-in.  A Connect or Port is a lot of money just for a line in.  You would be using only a subsidiary function but paying for the whole thing.

thanks for the reply John. so, a play 5 gen 2 speaker allows a turntable to be plugged in? also does that allow the turntable to be shared with the rest of the speakers. good call, I understand now that for the same money I can get the feature I need also a speaker too!! cheers

thanks for the reply John. so, a play 5 gen 2 speaker allows a turntable to be plugged in? also does that allow the turntable to be shared with the rest of the speakers. good call, I understand now that for the same money I can get the feature I need also a speaker too!! cheers

Any Line-In source can be played on any and all other Sonos units.  You could even play another source on the Play:5 while playing the Line-In source elsewhere.