Configuring Sonos with Apple Airport Bridge Mode

TIA for all help. Looking for advice on what's required to set up Sonos in two different zones of my house. I have an old house and require two routers for WiFi coverage - I am using two Apple Airport Extreme's in bridge mode, so the SSID for the network is the same. In zone 1, I have the old Sonos bridge and a Play:3 and a Play:5 - everything works fine. In the zone 2, I have tried connecting a Play:3 - Sonos recognizes it and I can group it with the other players, but when I play no sound ever comes out in zone 2, while zone 1 plays fine. I then tried using a Sonos Connect connected to my amplifier in zone 2, but Sonos does not recognize it at all - I get blinking yellow lights on the Connect when I go through the add Sonos device process and it eventually times out with a failed connection. I assume if I had another bridge in zone 2 I would be able to figure all this out, but they don't sell them anymore. Do I need another Sonos component connected to the router (I can do this wired) to allow the Sonos Connect to "find" my Sonos network? What's the cheapest option?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
sonosoldtimer wrote:

TIA for all help. Looking for advice on what's required to set up Sonos in two different zones of my house. I have an old house and require two routers for WiFi coverage - I am using two Apple Airport Extreme's in bridge mode, so the SSID for the network is the same. In zone 1, I have the old Sonos bridge and a Play:3 and a Play:5 - everything works fine. In the zone 2, I have tried connecting a Play:3 - Sonos recognizes it and I can group it with the other players, but when I play no sound ever comes out in zone 2, while zone 1 plays fine. I then tried using a Sonos Connect connected to my amplifier in zone 2, but Sonos does not recognize it at all - I get blinking yellow lights on the Connect when I go through the add Sonos device process and it eventually times out with a failed connection. I assume if I had another bridge in zone 2 I would be able to figure all this out, but they don't sell them anymore. Do I need another Sonos component connected to the router (I can do this wired) to allow the Sonos Connect to "find" my Sonos network? What's the cheapest option?

Hi sonosoldtimer,

Sorry for the late response. If you're still having issues, check to make sure each of your Airport devices is running on the same wireless channel. It's also important that they all broadcast the same network name, and be in bridge mode, which you mentioned is the case.

It would also help to see a diagnostic report from your system. Please submit a report and reply here with the confirmation number.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings