Question

combining sonos play 1 and play 2 speakers through the same playbase.

• 20 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 3 replies
Can this be done? I.E. have four speakers operating at the same time? Through the big Playbase. We now know the non smart play 1 has had its IOS iphone/iPad capability put on notice to end. Can you operate the play 1 smart speaker through an iPhone/iPad? What about teaming the non smart play 1 with, say an Apple airplay speaker? Will the two different sets of speaker work together?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Well first... there is no such thing as a 'play 2' so what kind of device are we actually talking about here?

You can still use your iphone/ipad to CONTROL Sonos. You just cannot PLAY music that is STORED on it. Hopefully that clears up any confusion. iOS is still supported and will still be a supported operating system. They are just removing a small feature.

You can Airplay to a compatible speaker (Sonos One, Beam, Play:5 Gen 2, Playbase, Amp) and then group that with any other Sonos speaker on your system.

Yes the speakers will work together. Unless you're talking about creating a stereo pair or using them as surrounds. At that point they need to be a 1 to 1. So if you wanted to use your Play:1 as surrounds for your Playbase, you would need another Play:1.

Now if you had a Sonos One (Gen 1) and Sonos One (Gen 2) those can be stereo paired or used as surrounds together. Hopefully that wasn't confusing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for that. Some reassurance after the shock of having my favourite bit of the Sonos app being taken off. I refer to the ‘on this phone’ bit. Yes, I agree there is no such thing as a Play2. I meant to indicate a Play 1, 2 generation. I’m going to have to move to a place with a bigger room now to cater for all those speakers.

What do you mean by "you're going to have to move to a place with a bigger room now to cater for all those speakers" ? Why...Did you buy speakers you didn't need?
Good luck everyone.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/what-on-earth-are-sonos-doing-with-iphone-and-ipad-playback-6826862
Badge
Thanks for that. Some reassurance after the shock of having my favourite bit of the Sonos app being taken off. I refer to the ‘on this phone’ bit. Yes, I agree there is no such thing as a Play2. I meant to indicate a Play 1, 2 generation. I’m going to have to move to a place with a bigger room now to cater for all those speakers.
Actually, there isn’t a PLAY:1 gen 2, either.

As as indicated by Misfit, there is a PLAY:1, and a Sonos One gen 1 and a Sonos One gen 2. The PLAY:1 cannot be paired with either Sonos Ones, but the two versions of the Sonos One can be paired together, for either stereo, or surround purposes.