Question

combining sonos play 1 and play 2 speakers through the same playbase.

• 20 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Contributor III
  • 3 replies
Can this be done? I.E. have four speakers operating at the same time? Through the big Playbase. We now know the non smart play 1 has had its IOS iphone/iPad capability put on notice to end. Can you operate the play 1 smart speaker through an iPhone/iPad? What about teaming the non smart play 1 with, say an Apple airplay speaker? Will the two different sets of speaker work together?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for that. Some reassurance after the shock of having my favourite bit of the Sonos app being taken off. I refer to the ‘on this phone’ bit. Yes, I agree there is no such thing as a Play2. I meant to indicate a Play 1, 2 generation. I’m going to have to move to a place with a bigger room now to cater for all those speakers.

What do you mean by "you're going to have to move to a place with a bigger room now to cater for all those speakers" ? Why...Did you buy speakers you didn't need?
Actually, there isn’t a PLAY:1 gen 2, either.

As as indicated by Misfit, there is a PLAY:1, and a Sonos One gen 1 and a Sonos One gen 2. The PLAY:1 cannot be paired with either Sonos Ones, but the two versions of the Sonos One can be paired together, for either stereo, or surround purposes.
Badge
Thanks for that. Some reassurance after the shock of having my favourite bit of the Sonos app being taken off. I refer to the ‘on this phone’ bit. Yes, I agree there is no such thing as a Play2. I meant to indicate a Play 1, 2 generation. I’m going to have to move to a place with a bigger room now to cater for all those speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Well first... there is no such thing as a 'play 2' so what kind of device are we actually talking about here?

You can still use your iphone/ipad to CONTROL Sonos. You just cannot PLAY music that is STORED on it. Hopefully that clears up any confusion. iOS is still supported and will still be a supported operating system. They are just removing a small feature.

You can Airplay to a compatible speaker (Sonos One, Beam, Play:5 Gen 2, Playbase, Amp) and then group that with any other Sonos speaker on your system.

Yes the speakers will work together. Unless you're talking about creating a stereo pair or using them as surrounds. At that point they need to be a 1 to 1. So if you wanted to use your Play:1 as surrounds for your Playbase, you would need another Play:1.

Now if you had a Sonos One (Gen 1) and Sonos One (Gen 2) those can be stereo paired or used as surrounds together. Hopefully that wasn't confusing.
Good luck everyone.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/what-on-earth-are-sonos-doing-with-iphone-and-ipad-playback-6826862