Answered

cinema package

• 24 August 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello,

i’m looking to upgrade my sound bar and sub. I have an open plan living room/kitchen with 2 play 5’s. should I just go with a like for like swap and get the Sonos sound bar and sub or is there an alternative that would suit better.

kind Regards

Alex
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 26 August 2019, 23:23

Hi Alex Mottram

I must assume you are using a competitive sound bar and sub at the moment. The Play 5's x 2 are dedicated to music....correct?

If the above is true here are your options for Sonos HT
  1. Sonos Playbar with optical audio connection and Sub (like for like)
  2. Sonos Playbase with optical audio connection and Sub. Playbase rests on a flat top stand and the TV on top of it. Playbase offers Airplay2
  3. Sonos Beam with HDMI_ARC and optical audio connections and Sub. Beam offers Airplay2 and your choice of Alexa or Google voice assistant (they are not permanent when selected and therefore can be switched) *
All the above can be expanded to a DD5.1 system by adding Play:1 x 2 or Sonos One w/Alexa or Google assistant x 2 as surrounds. Cannot mix Play:1 and Sonos One 's together. Play 5 x 2 can be used as surrounds but IMO they would be overkill.

Note: Sonos HT soundbars and sound base only process Dolby Digital (DD). They will not process DD Plus, Dolby Atmos or DTS.

* When Beam is used Play:1's (to save money) are better for surrounds as the voice assistant in Sonos One's is muted. Beam is also recommended for smaller spaces along the line of a master bedroom. However, they can be tuned with TruePlay to work in larger spaces when combined with a sub to handle low-end.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Alex Mottram

I must assume you are using a competitive sound bar and sub at the moment. The Play 5's x 2 are dedicated to music....correct?

If the above is true here are your options for Sonos HT
  1. Sonos Playbar with optical audio connection and Sub (like for like)
  2. Sonos Playbase with optical audio connection and Sub. Playbase rests on a flat top stand and the TV on top of it. Playbase offers Airplay2
  3. Sonos Beam with HDMI_ARC and optical audio connections and Sub. Beam offers Airplay2 and your choice of Alexa or Google voice assistant (they are not permanent when selected and therefore can be switched) *
All the above can be expanded to a DD5.1 system by adding Play:1 x 2 or Sonos One w/Alexa or Google assistant x 2 as surrounds. Cannot mix Play:1 and Sonos One 's together. Play 5 x 2 can be used as surrounds but IMO they would be overkill.

Note: Sonos HT soundbars and sound base only process Dolby Digital (DD). They will not process DD Plus, Dolby Atmos or DTS.

* When Beam is used Play:1's (to save money) are better for surrounds as the voice assistant in Sonos One's is muted. Beam is also recommended for smaller spaces along the line of a master bedroom. However, they can be tuned with TruePlay to work in larger spaces when combined with a sub to handle low-end.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Thank you for the advice AjTrek1.