Answered

Cheap Vinyl Setup Help

• 28 January 2019
  • 4 replies

I recently purchased 4 Play:1 and a beam. I have 2 play:1 and the beam in my living room and 2 play:1 in my basement. I am looking at getting into vinyl. I am looking at the most economical setup.

Any suggestions on a turntable setup that will play throughout the house?
Can I just get a turntable then add a connect and play it throughout?
Suggestions on turntables?

A little confused on the difference of the connect and connect amp and if there is a cheaper solution... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 January 2019, 14:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The turntable is perhaps upto you and may depend on affordability, but here is a cheap starter one that is available through the Sonos Online Store ...

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/pro-ject-essential-iii-phono-turntable.html

Note any chosen turntable will need a pre-amp, built-in, or otherwise.

You can use these Sonos Products to connect them to your existing system...Simply use the ‘Line-In’ on any of these:
Connect, Connect:Amp, or Play:5

My own personal preference is the 'Play 5' as that also provides an additional speaker for the room, the cheapest option however is the Sonos Connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You can use these Sonos Products to connect them to your existing system...Simply use the ‘Line-In’ on any of these:

Or the new Sonos Amp if it's available in your geography.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
A Connect is required if you are seeking to add an existing Hifi setup to your Sonos sysmem i.e. amp. CD player, cassette player TT and also the speakers. A ConnectAmp does the above but does not require you a separate amp in the set up.

I started off using the line in on one my Play 5’s to play my Flexson TT. This limited me some what, so I bought a Connect Amp and separate speakers and then added a CD player and a cassette player - I had to make use of a cheap RCA switch for the three different inputs into the Connect amp (it only has one built in). The new Sonos amp has more inputs than the old one I believe.

If you don’t have a pre-existing hifi set up, the cheapest option is to buy another Play 5 with line-in. If you do, then it’s cheaper to buy a Connect.

Or the new Sonos Amp if it's available in your geography.

Yes, of course, I missed that one, thank-you pwt. ?