Answered

cd player

• 19 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello, I have a set of Play 1s and I intend to add a subwoofer.

I have some cds that I cannot get on Apple Music that I would like to play.

Is the Sonos Connect the only way to connect a CD player?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 19 June 2019, 03:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I originally went cheap, Raspberry Pi, USB to SATA cable, 2.5 SATA SSD. Easy to set up, rock solid stability and longer security update time-frame than many NAS devices. Plenty fast enough for multiple players, very low power and totally silent in a tiny case, wired or WiFi options and you can sometimes find the WiFi only one for $5.00.

Got fancy and switched to a piggy-back M.2 drive to get rid of the cable and external SSD a while back.
Thanks bockersjv and Kumar.
I got the smallest size WD My Cloud for about USD 110; at 2 TB the memory is still huge for just music and most of mine is unused. It has worked flawlessly from day 1, about four years ago.
If your router has a USB port, the simpler solution will be a memory stick; before buying one, try one CD ripped to any memory stick lying around and see if it works for Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I made my new one. Bought an Odroid Hc 1 for £59 then added a spare hard drive I had (250gb) which is plenty big enough. You can pick up a SATA 120gb drive for £15!
https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=817
They do an HC2 module for 3 and a half inch drives.
Lots of YouTube tutorials too help you.

Loaded Openemdiavault, flashed it to a cheap SD card and for free and took 30 mins to have it up and running.

https://www.openmediavault.org/

The hard drive I have is an SSD so the whole thing is silent too and with a gigabit interface it's quicker than my old expensive Nas. It's small enough to hide anywhere and it was great fun and very satisfying to make and set up.

So a full function Nas for £75 or less if you have a spare drive
Thanks Kumar, do you have any opinions on a good entry level model? I don’t need very much storage.
You need Sonos kit with line in jacks, and Connect is one such. Connect Amp/Play 5 are other such.
You are better off investing in a NAS for less than half the price of any of the above, rip the CDs to it and play on Sonos. And box the CDs and sell the CD player.