Question

Can two "Trade Up" 30% off credits be applied to ONE new component?

• 31 October 2019
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 3

I have two older ZP80 components that are eligible for recycle to get the current “Trade Up” 30% off credit. My question is - if I trade both of them, can the two 30% off credits be applied to purchase one new component, or do I have to purchase two new ones to apply 30% off to each? I already traded in one and I see 30% off applied to the item in the cart, but I see a “+” sign next to it as well which I am assuming means that if I trade up second ZP80 I would be able to apply both to one new component purchase: 

Is my assumption that two 30% off credits can be applied when buying one component correct or not? Since trade up is not reversible, I don’t want to trade another one if I have to purchase two different components since I only need one. Please let me know. Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Nope... I have 4 eligible items (3 play 5s and a zp100) and it doesn't get me a freebie with 20% cash rebate 🙁

Recycle program does make me worry that some crushing out of support updates will be coming in the year ahead which will landfill the devices though...

On all my devices there could still easily be some residual off network functionality as a line-in driven amp/speaker so I also wonder if the recycling totally kills them...

Recycle program does make me worry that some crushing out of support updates will be coming in the year ahead which will landfill the devices though...

That’s a possibility, but I don’t know that this program is going to be successful enough to remove enough of the old products to make that feasible...particularly for the Connect and Connect:amps that have been on sale recently.    It may be though that marketing shows that these sort of trade ups generate sales that would not have happened otherwise as well as good will with customers.  I took advantage of a similar program with Amazon this summer, not sure what other companies do this sort of thing.

On all my devices there could still easily be some residual off network functionality as a line-in driven amp/speaker so I also wonder if the recycling totally kills them...

I would bet that it does, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if somebody fugues out a way around it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Also a bit concerned, because I have a Zp100 and a Zp80.  Less concerned about the Connect being disabled by an update, but for the older ones, sure would be nice if someone official would chime in to the thread.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Also a bit concerned, because I have a Zp100 and a Zp80.  Less concerned about the Connect being disabled by an update, but for the older ones, sure would be nice if someone official would chime in to the thread.

Taking old units offline will no doubt give them cover to shed support of older units going forward. The day will arrive sooner or later. Personally I would wait for a better offer. 😀

Taking old units offline will no doubt give them cover to shed support of older units going forward. The day will arrive sooner or later. Personally I would wait for a better offer. 😀

Are you being serious about waiting for a better offer?  When the CR100 was dropped, customers were offered $50 vouchers, if I remember correctly.    This 30% offer is worth between $53 (if used on a Sonos One SL) and $210 (if used on a Sub or Playbar).   Sonos is going to offer more than that on potentially 10+ year old equipment?

Also using history as a guide, Sonos will surely make an annoucement a couple months in advance and try to inform users who are effected.  I can’t see them giving an unofficial statement about dropping support for any speakers ahead of this.    Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t worry about the Connect, Connect:Amp, or Play:5 dropping until you first hear about the ZP line being dropped.  If I owned a ZP, I’d be more  considered about hardware failure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone! @ykamenet, looks like you should have your answer already. Trade Up credits can be used for a single item on Sonos.com. Credits cannot be used together or combined with other sales or promotions. Third party products and refurbished items are excluded.

As to other questions in this thread, I’m happy to say that we are committed to supporting all Sonos products for as long as we are able. The trade up program is designed for people who our first generation devices like airforceteacher’s over 10 year old ZP100 and ZP80, and who might be interested in getting new Sonos experiences. Over recent years, we’ve launched several new products like Sonos One, Beam, Amp, Port, and now Move, that offer built-in voice control in some cases, and Apple AirPlay 2, along with upgraded hardware and new designs across the board. We’ve introduced this as an upgrade program so that all customers can enjoy the best of Sonos, and allow our long time supporting customers an option to get a discount on them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just curious - could a 30 percent code be used on one of the speaker sets sold on the website (such as the “indoor outdoor set” they advertise?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Just curious - could a 30 percent code be used on one of the speaker sets sold on the website (such as the “indoor outdoor set” they advertise?)

The 30% discount can be applied to a single Sonos product. This cannot be combined with other promotions or discounts. Discounts for product sets will be calculated from the full retail value. Gift cards, third party accessories, and refurbished products are not eligible.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Ryan S - thanks you for your input, but it doesn’t really allay the fears that this coupon offering is due to a heretofore unnannounced update that will kill the ZP series and the Gen 1 Play:5.   I have no need for any of the new features in the Port or Amp, so I’d like to avoid replacing a working component for … well, until it dies a natural death.  It seems like Sonos is again forgetting/ignoring that traditional hifi equipment has lifespans measured in decades, and the devices designed to specifically connect to legacy equipment would naturally be expected to meet those expectations by people using legacy components.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Are you being serious about waiting for a better offer?  

Oh I agree very unlikely that Sonos offers more.  It's a good deal, not throwing shade on it and I would take it if I had some units in service for a decade +.

But Black Friday is a few weeks away. The old units still have value on the used market. So a BF sale with proceeds from used sale one could potentially do better than 30% off (or not)

This was the scenario I was thinking not that Sonos will increase their offer.

Oh I agree very unlikely that Sonos offers more.  It's a good deal, not throwing shade on it and I would take it if I had some units in service for a decade +.

But Black Friday is a few weeks away. The old units still have value on the used market. So a BF sale with proceeds from used sale one could potentially do better than 30% off (or not)

This was the scenario I was thinking not that Sonos will increase their offer.

Ah, yea, I don’t think Christmas pricing will be better than 30%, but depending on what you sell, you  do better than 30% in total.  Makes sense.  Unless there’s an end date to the trade in policy, I would rather hold on till there a product I really want that can’t be bought at a discount.  Knowing myself and the current pace that Sonos is putting out new products, that probably won’t be too long of a wait.

Userlevel 7

@Ryan S  It seems like Sonos is again forgetting/ignoring that traditional hifi equipment has lifespans measured in decades,….

@airforceteacher

I would a agree that “traditional” hifi equipment lifespan is decades. I have a Techniques ARA (audio/receiver/amp) from the 70’s that is still functional (and speakers to match) :smile:

FYI, for you younger folks “video switching” was still a pipe dream; if even on the drawing board. Heck...one still had to get up and adjust the volume (no remote). Optical/HDMI...what’s that? 

I digress….my point is that back in the day we weren’t dealing with DAC’s, memory, network cards (NIC’s), ethernet, firmware updates and wireless connectivity to enjoy music.  Integrating all that technology into a speaker IMHO only ensured a shorter lifespan (or hastened obsolesce) due to people wanting more and more out of their technology.  

If I were to hazard a guess...Memory (volatile and non-volatile) is probably the biggest culprit to making devices obsolete. There’s a  limit as to how many firmware updates or advancements can be crammed into 16 or 32 Mb’s of memory.  Also, NIC’s are forever changing in order to improve networking capabilities. 

So to cut this short...I don’t think Sonos is “again forgetting/ignoring that traditional hifi equipment has lifespans measured in decades,...” . IMO, It's more because competition (think Amazon/Google with voice assistants) and the consumer wanting more functionality out of their devices is what  drives obsolescence.

Sonos, I think has stemmed the tide to prevent leaving loyal customers behind as their products advance by supporting legacy components for as long as feasible. Nothing in this day and age is forever. That said it would be nice to see an upgrade; or more likely a replacement to the Playbar :wink:.

Cheers! 

Userlevel 3

@Ryan S - thanks for the confirmation, really appreciate when there is such active participation from the company and clear answers! Bummer that multiple credits can’t be stacked, I just don’t need more than one component right now and have more then one to recycle, but I guess since the 30% credit never expires (and I do think it is a GREAT credit) I will be able to apply the second one in the future.

Also, I can completely understand that sometimes components need to be retired (like the CR100 controller) and it is reasonable to assume that older hardware may not get latest features and same support. However, to echo what others said, I do hope that speakers will never become unusable. I own many Sonos components and have speakers in each room, including three Gen 1 Play5s. I love them and I chose Sonos instead of wiring my house with hardwired speakers (which I had an option to do at a lower cost) because I love the flexibility, quality, and ease of use. I have invested thousands into my Sonos setup and I certainly hope that they will function as long as they can. So far Sonos has been one of the best companies to support all legacy products and I want to thank you for your support. Hope it continues moving forward.     

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The product continues to do exactly what I bought it for.  Why arbitrarily kill it because some other product in the line does something new.  Why not give an option for it ti just keep working until it dies?  

Userlevel 3

The product continues to do exactly what I bought it for.  Why arbitrarily kill it because some other product in the line does something new.  Why not give an option for it ti just keep working until it dies?  

I don’t think anything is being killed. This is a trade up option and is entirely up to the end-user to take advantage of, or not. Anything beyond that is speculation unless I am missing something here?

There is an option; don’t trade it in.  Nobody is arbitrarily killing anything (at this time), the program is voluntary.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

There is an option; don’t trade it in.  Nobody is arbitrarily killing anything (at this time), the program is voluntary.

30% is an enormous discount for a product line that rarely is discounted at all. There’s a motivation here for that, and the most logical explanation is a future forced obsolescence. 

Well why don't we cross that bridge when we come to it?  I find preemptive rage to be rather silly.

Userlevel 7

Forced obsolescence or not...30% off an improved Playbar @ $209.70 is a very nice savings off the current $699 price. Even if the price were raised to $799 (which I think is a stretch) a $239.70 discount is nothing to sneeze at. Heck for $118 more (Added to the savings) you get the Playbar and two Sonos One SL’s. Sweet. Of course l’m only dreaming.

Userlevel 3

Forced future obsolescence was prescient. We’ve come to the bridge. Quoting older posts. 

I paid over $500 for each of my six Play 5s NEW in late 2013. Really ticked off about that $3000 investment going to hell 7 years later. Sonos could do better. Option (1): Let us combine our trade-ins. I would trade in my 6 for 2.  And gradually build my Sonos system back up as money became available. Option (2):  Ramp the discount to reward long-time supporters. Make it a 30% discount if under $500 trade in, 35% for $1000, 40% for $1500, and so on. Sonos would still get money out of me now AND would reward someone who has bought many pieces of Sonos equipment. Option (3): Commit to support of legacy stuff for at least 10 years per product. For me that would be 2022-2033. 

Otherwise, I’ll shrink my system over time as things become obsolete, never buying any more Sonos, and go a different direction as there are many options nowadays. Willing to carry a good speaker once in awhile.