Question

Can Sonos implement customers good ideas more quickly!

Show first post

148 replies

Badge +3
Hi everyone, Now that this thread has calmed down a bit, I think it's appropriate for us to address some of the questions and comments expressed here. One of the many reasons we created this online space for the community is to offer a place to share ideas about Sonos and for us to provide feedback. Sonos has been criticized in the past for a lack of transparency on items under development; we saw an opportunity here to begin an open dialog. Since August 2012, we've marked 21 idea topics as Planned, 14 of which have since been implemented - including wireless streaming from the iOS, Sonos Favorites, and improved playlist editing. Sonos has between three and four regular software releases every year and we've been able to include about four or five requested features in each one. We stand by our definition of Under Consideration but we do understand and agree with the request for more communication in these topics. There are over 1,000 total idea topics, of which less than 200 are marked Under Consideration. We typically mark topics Under Consideration because they're popular requests, or because they are ideas that we're aware of and have previously discussed. There are reasons why certain ideas currently Under Consideration have not yet been implemented. There are also items under development which are not publicly announced until release. We cannot offer an explanation for every decision and understand this can be frustrating at times. We see the value in transparent communication and are working to put that into practice here. At times, this can be a balancing act and we may make mistakes along the way. We cannot promise that everyone will be happy with our decisions all the time, but we do promise to listen to what you have to say. One last note --- I do not feel that this topic is the best representation of the Sonos community. Unless there are compelling reasons not to do so, I'd like to close this topic to further comments and archive it. However, there has been good discussion here and for those that would like to continue the conversation, I would suggest visiting the Sonos forums (http://forums.sonos.com). Thank you for your continued support and as always, happy listening.
Userlevel 3
Agreed
Userlevel 1
Badge
@John M Thanks for the reply and the clarification of Sonos's position. It seems perfectly logical that you don't constantly update on each topic, whether that be based on sheer volume or competitive development strategy. +1 for the concluding statement. Pat
Good to see a response John, but while it addresses the diversion, it doesn't really address the original point does it? I think that this was originally posted as an "idea", but someone from Sonos re-categorised it as a question, presumably because it didn't look good there once it had been voted up onto the front page. I think that the "idea" was that Sonos look to accelerating the pace of application development, which IMO feels glacial. If you really were able to implement "four or five" requested features in each new release that would be great, but that is not how I have perceived things. Some of the new features are much appreciated, but the pace of change to this point has been disappointing. They feel like they could have been expected as release 1.0 features, rather than finally being granted 6+ years (!) after initial release, examples from the recent releases are: * ability to create user favourites * relaxation of the requirement for a top level share * multi-select and drag & drop for the desktop controller Why did these take so long? They were the subject of frequent request. Is Sonos content with the previous rate of change? If your install base is really doubling each year, can we look forward to a ramped rate of change, now that you presumably have ramped up resources? I love my Sonos, but am hoping that it doesn't go the way of my Tivo. Tivo was my previous favourite device, but no longer, as it never kept pace with the advance of expectation. Eventually I was pleased to unplug it.
Userlevel 3
Good to see a response John, but while it addresses the diversion, it doesn't really address the original point does it? I think that this was originally posted as an "idea", but someone from Sonos re-categorised it as a question, presumably because it didn't look good there once it had been voted up onto the front page. I think that the "idea" was that Sonos look to accelerating the pace of application development, which IMO feels glacial. If you really were able to implement "four or five" requested features in each new release that would be great, but that is not how I have perceived things. Some of the new features are much appreciated, but the pace of change to this point has been disappointing. They feel like they could have been expected as release 1.0 features, rather than finally being granted 6+ years (!) after initial release, examples from the recent releases are: * ability to create user favourites * relaxation of the requirement for a top level share * multi-select and drag & drop for the desktop controller Why did these take so long? They were the subject of frequent request. Is Sonos content with the previous rate of change? If your install base is really doubling each year, can we look forward to a ramped rate of change, now that you presumably have ramped up resources? I love my Sonos, but am hoping that it doesn't go the way of my Tivo. Tivo was my previous favourite device, but no longer, as it never kept pace with the advance of expectation. Eventually I was pleased to unplug it.
I can only agree with this post. While I understand that there are "reasons why certain ideas currently Under Consideration have not yet been implemented". I find it really difficult to comprehend why trivial, obvious features such as: *Pause on mute option *Volume limit \ +/- %volume gain per zone option *Customized delay per zone option *Alarm per zone option Have not just been implemented from Version 1 in advanced settings, let alone years later still not even made it to the 'Planned' stage! Implementing these simple features would make such a difference to so many loyal customers, we can only beg you to do so... It seems like you guys are working on some big features but all the little trivial ones that wouldn't take you long but would make us oh so happy get left in the 'Under Consideration' stage making us so frustrated. (?"Resource Starvation") The elephant in the room missing feature that everyone I know queries why isn't in the system is basic security such as password protecting zones / parental controls. Pretty much everyone I've shown the system says exactly the same thing "That's a bit stupid you can mess about with your room mates stereo and they can't stop you"... I do understand this could cause licensing problems with Spotify etc, as could be open to abuse, but does it really need to be under consideration for so long? I'm sure you guys are clever enough to come up with a simple solution. Perhaps you could even charge for a Sonos Pro upgrade or something for this glaring missing feature.
Badge +3
Hi Barry, Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. In the last year Sonos has done more than ever before. We've released a PLAYBAR, a SUB, new Controllers for the PC and Mac, wireless streaming from iOS, and a number of requested features via our regular software updates. I think you'll see over the next year that we have even more great things coming. It feels like we're starting to get into 'why hasn't Sonos done X' or 'why is X taking so long' territory here. These are examples of the details that we don't intend to provide for what I hope you'll understand are good reasons. As I said at the end of my previous response to the topic, I think it's best that this topic be closed and archived. I'm going to do so now but again, I want to thank you for sharing your viewpoint with us.
Love the idea of an intercom interface!
Fired up the LMS (Logitech Media Server) yesterday to test out the Chromecast plugin. LMS is an example of a system where anyone and his brother can add whatever feature they wish, within the confines of a defined framework.

The plugins sometimes work without a hitch, but far more often, they work fine for the original developer's very narrow test setups. Everyone else is on their own. This usually means dozens of configuration parameters, usually with very little documentation, so lots of trial and error is required. For the average Joe consumer, this is a huge PITA.

I greatly prefer Sonos' approach; limit the hardware, thoroughly test every new addition, don't add features that only make sense to a tiny (but usually very vocal) minority of users. Obviously far more consumers agree, as well, since Logitech discontinued its hardware long ago, while Sonos continues to lead the market.

If you prefer the LMS approach, have at it! Just be ready for plenty of pain...

I'll continue using a Chromecast into the line in of a Connect for now. FAR easier than via LMS, which didn't work for me.
Of course it is going to be easier to plug it in to the Connect directly.

What were you trying to do with LMS/Sonos/Chromecast?
Of course it is going to be easier to plug it in to the Connect directly.

What were you trying to do with LMS/Sonos/Chromecast?

Add new plugins for UPnP and Chromecast. The UPnP one kinda sorta worked, after multiple restarts of LMS (at the command line of the NAS, speaking of ultra unfriendly for Joe Consumer). The CC plugin simply refused to activate, after numerous attempts. Life's too short...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lms-plugins-philippe44/files/
What were you hoping to do, or just trying it out?

What NAS and LMS version?

Plugin is installed via a repo, you just check a box? Did you have 3rd party plugins enabled?
Haha, yes, trust me, I used LMS for many years; I'm also a software engineer with 30 years of experience with various flavors of unix, including cross compilation of libraries targeting several custom Linux builds, etc.

I simply don't have the patience anymore for amateur efforts that most LMS plugin are. Just thought this one might be easy; it wasn't, nothing lost except a few hours of my time. Nothing gained, either.
What NAS? If you aren't using a recent 7.9 LMS or a compatible OS (Synology and Qnap aren't supported)- with respect all your 30 years of UNIX experience isn't gonna help.
As I said, the guy's UPNP plugin installed and sort of works, finds all my UPNP renderers, including my Sonos devices, even plays some things to the Sonos, for a minute or two at a time. The CC plugin installed fine the first time, found all my CCs and CCAs (though not the CCA groups) but wouldn't play anything to them. So, moneyed around with settings a bit, restarted LMS after each change, nothing. Finally, disabled it, and it refuses to enable again, sigh.

Was primarily interested in his YouTube plugin, actually, but it failed to install. Would have been cool to play audio from YouTube videos to Sonos via the YouTube+UPNP plugins, but, as I can already easily and reliably do that with an HDMI CC + DAC into Sonos Line In, I'll not pursue this PITA further.
Evidence that it almost worked. ;)

Ok was willing to help chase down your issues, but all good if you don't need to.

We use LMS to play to Sonos majority of the time as there are some LMS features that are non negotiable. I've not had any issues but run Vortexbox NAS which makes it dead simple IME.
+1 so need this
Sonos is this done yet, users have been asking for 'years', I really loved my Sonos setup but as my young son can access my music a lot only for 18+ I'm going to look for alternative speakers and sell my Sonos setup online, shame 😞
Sonos is this done yet please? users have been asking for 'years', I really loved my Sonos setup but as my young son can access my music a lot only for 18+ I'm going to look for alternative speakers and sell my Sonos setup online, shame 😞

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings