Question

can i get surround sound from Terrestrial stations , bbc 1 itv etc.

• 15 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

or is there anything i can buy that will  replicate surround sound on my sonas arc soundbar , as at the moment bbc channels and itv etc just play in stereo.

i would appreciate any help  or advice as to what to buy ..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

or is there anything i can buy that will  replicate surround sound on my sonas arc soundbar , as at the moment bbc channels and itv etc just play in stereo.

It is only being broadcast in stereo.  There is nothing wrong here.

Badge +1

Thank you for the reply is there any converter I can buy to make it sound like surround sound even thoe it is only in stereo 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @The gunners, thanks for reaching out. @John B  is right. Regarding your question about any converter to make it sound like surrounds even it’s only on the stereo, I can’t suggest any as of the moment. but we can check for other Sonos community users if they are able to have this kind of setup or not. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

It may be as ‘simple’ as changing from an analog antenna to a digital antenna, which would likely connect to a different port on your TV set. Analog antennas can only receive stereo broadcasts (Standard Definition) whereas a digital antenna can receive digital (High definition, which includes surround sound) signals. Check with you local electrical device sales shop. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you try the HD channels and look for programs being transmitted in DD you should get the full 5.1 sound. Note that many programs, even on the HD channels, are still only broadcast in stereo.

I think there is an old saying that is relevant here:

‘You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear’.

Badge +1

thanx for the replys people … i do get surround sound if i go to the channels bradcasting it i was only asking to see if there is anything out there that could replicate surround sound if it was in stereo .