Answered

Can I do this and what products do I need?

• 14 January 2023
  • 8 replies

I have a Samsung TV in my living room that I use an Apple TV on. I play podcasts on it and frequently stream SiriusXM through the TV. There are two wired speakers connected to the TV - just left and right - no surround.

I would like to add wireless speakers in my office and bedroom that have the same audio from the TV so I can listen while moving around the house. I bought a One SL thinking this would work without really looking into it first. Now I’m realizing there doesn’t seem to be a way to connect it to the TV.

Is something like this possible and what do I need to buy? I’m happy with my TV speakers and don’t necessarily want to replace them but I would be willing to add a soundbar if that would work.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 14 January 2023, 22:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The only way to do this with Sonos is to connect a Sonos sound bar to your TV. You can then group this to other Sonos speakers. The grouped speakers wil have a 70ms delay.

OK, so I would play the Sonos system concurrently with the wired speakers? Is a 70ms difference noticeable? Seems like that would not be ideal. Are there other products (non-Sonos - either wifi or bluetooth) that do this or should I just replace my wired speakers?

If you use a SONOS soundbar for the TV, you can Group other SONOS players with the TV Room. Unless you can simultaneously hear a Grouped player and the soundbar, the Group latency will not be an issue. You will not be able to use your current TV L/R speakers with a SONOS soundbar.

OK, thank you for the explanation. I’m realizing that Sonos doesn’t work exactly like I thought it did. It still seems like a great product, I just need to adjust my expectations. I will probably go ahead and get the soundbar and group them.

However, is there any type of wireless solutions (either wifi or bluetooth) that would work with my existing speakers? I understand it would not be Sonos and I get this is a Sonos forum, but are there any products out there that would allow me to play my wired speakers through a receiver connected to the TV and also sync with a wirless speaker in another room?

Also, I listen to a lot of Sirius. Must I only use the Sonos app for this instead of the Sirius app itself?

Your source for the audio is AppleTV, correct?  Have you tried using airplay to send the audio from AppleTV to your Sonos One SL?  This should work, but it may also cause the AppleTV to stop send audio to your TV.  It may also make more sense to get Sirius XM and your podcasts on your phone, then use airplay to send the audio to Sonos and your AppleTV.  I’m not an Apple guy, so not 100% sure if that would work.

Also, you should know that you can stream Siriius XM, and possibly your podcasts, directly to the Sonos One SL.  For XM, It may be a few seconds out of sync with your AppleTV.  I’ve seen this happen when accessing a channel via stream and through satellite, but I don’t know that will occur with 2 different streaming sources.  Although you can pause either streaming independently to get them out of sync. 

But as the others said, Sonos works best when you use Sonos speakers for the TV and all the rooms.

Your source for the audio is AppleTV, correct?  Have you tried using airplay to send the audio from AppleTV to your Sonos One SL? 

Also, you should know that you can stream Siriius XM, and possibly your podcasts, directly to the Sonos One SL. 

OK, this is a bit embarrassing, but do you know how I would do this? How do I send the audio using Airplay?

I’m also not an Apple person. There should be an option in the AppleTV control App to send audio via Airplay.

TV’s don’t usually have Airplay transmit options.

Airplay does not simultaneously send audio to multiple devices. However, if you have a SONOS ROAM, you could Airplay to ROAM, then Group other SONOS players with that ROAM. In my opinion this arrangement is a bit quirky and I don’t recommend using this scheme as the basis for your system, but it’s a great feature if a guest shows up and wants to play something from their iPhone/iPad through your full SONOS system.

Thanks for everyone’s help here. I have played around with the Sonos One and the sound quality is similar to my current speaker setup. It sounds great for the price. I have also realized that my Samsung SmartTV has bluetooth, so I can send the audio through my receiver and out through bluetooth simultaneously. So, if I get a portable speaker with bluetooth, I can accomplish what I want. Unfortunately, this means the the Sonos One will be going back.