Answered

Buying my first speaker

Badge
Hello all,

I am a high school senior heading to college next year and hoping to buy a speaker to take with me into the next stage of my life. Because of where I currently sit financially speaking, my options are limited. However, I have narrowed it down to three possible outcomes which I would like your feedback on.
Option 1: Two room set of Play:1s
Option 2: 1 Sonos 1 (Gen 2)
Option 3: Play:5 (Gen 1)

Please let me know which option you all think is the best to both fill my dorm room and segway me into starting my Sonos system.

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 26 March 2019, 18:29

I glossed over the dorm room detail. Danny and Bruce nailed this advice, as dorms tend to produce all kinds of signal interference.

There is that, but it's usually not too difficult to wire the speakers in a door room. The bigger problem is that you're dealing with an open wifi network that you don't have control over. It's possible that you can get your own router, travel router, to have your own controlled network in your room, but that may not be something that administrators of the dorm will allow.

View original

7 replies

Badge +4
Welcome to the community!

Stereo pair (in my opinion) is the way to go. That said, of your options listed the first is going to reign supreme.

If you need a voice assistant, you'll want to go with 2 x One.
Note: connecting Sonos to school WiFi systems is rife with issues, and sometimes is forbidden. Make sure you investigate how you will connect before you go in to this situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I agree with Bruce on this. Sonos is great, but not the best for a dorm room situation. I would recommend looking into a good bluetooth speaker and/or headphones to use in a dorm room. Both of which you should be able to find good uses for years to come. Sonos will be there when you're ready for an apartment.
Badge +4
I glossed over the dorm room detail. Danny and Bruce nailed this advice, as dorms tend to produce all kinds of signal interference.

My response was primarily what sounded best (to me) and where I would recommend starting, but you would be wise to only proceed when you have a more detached living situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There is that, but it's usually not too difficult to wire the speakers in a door room. The bigger problem is that you're dealing with an open wifi network that you don't have control over. It's possible that you can get your own router, travel router, to have your own controlled network in your room, but that may not be something that administrators of the dorm will allow.
Badge
I had already planned for the wifi being an issue and purchased an extender so that the network would not be issue, however, I appreciate your concerns. That being said, any recommendations on the speakers themselves?
Badge +4
Stereo pair of Play:1 or One, depending on whether or not you need Alexa or (future) GA.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings