Answered

Brennan B2 and Port

• 24 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

If I want to use the Brennan B2 as a CD player and Internet Radio as well as a passive NAS, to do this, can I hook it up to any Sonos product with a line in? I was thinking of a Play 5 but may now considering the Port since I have to wire the B2 to the router with a ethernet cable in a different room.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 December 2019, 00:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +1

Thanks for that concise clear answer. Understood and  appreciated

Using what output from the Brennan?

For those who are interested in the look of the back of this device I found a good one here:

https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/brennan-b2-review/

You have to scroll down to find the picture of the back.

What’s the advantage of using the Internet Radio built in to the Brennan, rather than the one in Sonos? Why are you trying to add complexity?

All Sonos analog line-ins are equal, from a software perspective. The only difference is the form factor, 3.5mm on the PLAY:5, RCA on the Port.  The digital line ins on the Amp, and the soundbars have a lower latency on that device, but when you connect it with other Sonos “rooms”, you end up paying that latency cost again.

Badge +1

Thanks Bruce, I’m a novice on this. Can you play all the same internet radio stations via Sonos that you can from the Brennan? I didn’t realize that? I don’t understand what you mean my latency or the latency cost. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

No idea, I’ve not done any investigation on the Brennan, as I don’t own one, but there aren’t that many radio stations that don’t play on Sonos, with the multiple streamers they support, from TuneIn, iHeart roadie, radio.com, and others.

Because Sonos is designed as a whole home system, to play a stream in all “rooms” in sync, any input has a certain delay associated with it, so that Sonos can be sure it will play in sync. This is not a problem at all when you’re only using Sonos speakers, in fact it’s a benefit, and completely transparent to the user. It’s only when you’re trying to add non Sonos systems, usually a Port connected to an amplifier. In that case, if the source is from the Sonos to the amplifier, all speakers are in sync. It’s when the source is the amplifier that the Sonos speakers will be delayed from the amplifier’s speakers.