Both New Sonos Products Released This Year Already?

• 21 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Patrick Spence mentioned early in the year either in an earnings call or interview that they were going to release two new products this year. So I guess I am just looking for clarification as to what those new products officially are and if we can expect anything else. By my count we had this year:

1. Roam
  2. Ikea Picture Frame Speakers??
  3. Beam-Gen 2??
  4. Ikea Lamp Speakers-Gen 2 (not officially released yet I believe)??

Do we know what is the second product? Or is their something else, that “one more thing...” I personally am of the camp that wants a set high end over the ear headphones.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

"We remain committed to launching at least two new products per year and are well on track as we look at our fiscal 2021 product roadmap" - Patrick Spence

My understanding was that ikea speakers are up to ikea to develop and are not part of the 2 devices per year goal that Spence set for Sonos.  I suspect the Beam Gen 2 does count though.  It’s not completely new, but it has new features and a new grille.

I’m not holding my breath for another product coming out this year.  The recent Sonos announcement was for the Beam, and promised DTS and Amazon HD by the end of the year.  If there is another product coming out this year, why not annouce that as well?  And I would think that any product would be released Nov 1 at the latest in order to capture the Christmas sales season.   Time is running out quickly.

But I am guessing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

"We remain committed to launching at least two new products per year and are well on track as we look at our fiscal 2021 product roadmap" - Patrick Spence

Should have looked for the quote. Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

My understanding was that ikea speakers are up to ikea to develop and are not part of the 2 devices per year goal that Spence set for Sonos.  I suspect the Beam Gen 2 does count though.  It’s not completely new, but it has new features and a new grille.

I’m not holding my breath for another product coming out this year.  The recent Sonos announcement was for the Beam, and promised DTS and Amazon HD by the end of the year.  If there is another product coming out this year, why not annouce that as well?  And I would think that any product would be released Nov 1 at the latest in order to capture the Christmas sales season.   Time is running out quickly.

But I am guessing.

To me a “new” product doesn’t have a “Gen” nomenclature but we could be just arguing semantics. For example Amazon just released a “New” Paperwhite e-reader. This is the Gen 11 Paperwhite. While it has new things it is not a new product. I guess I am just hopelessly hopeful that we got one more yet but stupid reality slaps me in the face every time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Roam SL is out in China. Its a Roam without a mic.

I know of at least one more unreleased device, not sure if it will be out before year end.

To me a “new” product doesn’t have a “Gen” nomenclature but we could be just arguing semantics. For example Amazon just released a “New” Paperwhite e-reader. This is the Gen 11 Paperwhite. While it has new things it is not a new product. I guess I am just hopelessly hopeful that we got one more yet but stupid reality slaps me in the face every time.

I’d agree that a new Gen doesn’t necessarily make a new product.  For example the Sonos One Gen 2 isn’t a new product.  It has the exact same features as Gen 1, and Sonos just sort of slipped it in and barely announced it. With the Beam however there are different features, a slightly different design, and a definitive release date.  Big difference, IMO.