Question

Boost versus Wi-Fi Extender

• 6 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Is there any difference (or advantage) in using a Boost instead a Wi-Fi Extender?
I've recently faced some problems with four Play 1 units, grouped to play music simultaneously from an online music station in a Gym. The music turned off irregularly, but after having set-up a simple Wi-Fi Extender, connected with a cable to one Play 1, the system turned out to be stable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Regarding your explanation to grouped play with wired connection to one PLAY:1, is it so that the wired PLAY:1 act as the wireless connection to the remaining 3 PLAY:1s?
Yes, the wired PLAY:1 will have set up SonosNet, the dedicated wireless mesh, between the PLAY:1s. So the wireless units will be connecting through the wired one.

If yes, is this set-up in your opinion a better solution, than removing the cable between the extender and the PLAY:1 and leave the wireless connection entirely to the extender?

If the PLAY:1s would have a WiFi connection to the extender -- as opposed to the distant router -- it probably doesn't matter whether you wire one PLAY:1 (SonosNet mode) or detach it (WiFi mode). Try the two configurations out.
My reason for using the Wi-Fi Extender is the fact that I don't have physical access to the far-off router which is needed if I should use the BOOST.
Regarding your explanation to grouped play with wired connection to one PLAY:1, is it so that the wired PLAY:1 act as the wireless connection to the remaining 3 PLAY:1s?
If yes, is this set-up in your opinion a better solution, than removing the cable between the extender and the PLAY:1 and leave the wireless connection entirely to the extender?
Bonus info: before installing the system in the Gym, I tested the set-up in my privat housing for over a week, using the extender as wireless connection without facing any problems.
BOOST only handles Sonos traffic. It doesn't extend WiFi.

Your current arrangement is in fact in 'BOOST Setup' because one of the PLAY:1s is now wired. (The wired component can be anything; it doesn't have to be a BOOST.)

Although it's not entirely supported, since it's relying on the WiFi extender's wireless connection back to the router, I'd suggest you stick with the current arrangement as long as it works okay. For grouped play you're benefiting from the fact that the 3 other PLAY:1s have a decent wireless connection to the wired PLAY:1. Before they were presumably having to use WiFi to connect to the far-off router.