Answered

Boost or Play 1

• 14 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Reading some other topics and seeing a Boost being recommended as a WiFi networking solution got me to thinking. A Boost is $100 while a Play 1 is $150, getting another speaker for $50 more might be tempting in some situations.

So how would the Play 1 compare to the Boost in WiFi operation?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 15 March 2018, 01:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Stanley_4. While the BOOST is a dedicated device made specifically to be the "first-wire" for SonosNet, you certainly could use any other Sonos device in its stead. The differences between the depend on the age of the player. For instance, since the BOOST was developed after the PLAY:1, so it has a more modern (likely more capable) wireless card. Older devices likely have older wireless cards.

Personally, I haven't compared the two in a test. I'd be interested to see if anyone in the Community has given it a go!
I recently replaced a Boost with a play 1 unit because I needed a speaker in the location. I see no change in the performance in a 5 zone system, and the Matrix also looks pretty much the same where signal strength and box colours are concerned.