Question

Boost Advantages?

• 9 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Boost says it creates a dedicated wireless network for my Sonos products to utilize.  Does this make it so I’m not clogging up my home WiFi?  In other words, when I’m trying to work on a VPN and my kid is playing PS4 streaming games, and my daughter is streaming Roblox on the computer and my other kid is watching Youtube and I have all my Sonos speakers playing music my work computer can get a little slow because I’m probably clogging up my wifi network with all that is going on.  Does Boost untether my Sonos speakers from the home Wifi thus freeing up bandwidth?  I’m a little fuzzy on what Boost actually does and how it helps.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Using a Boost (or wiring a speaker to your router) will mean that Sonos starts using its own SonosNet wireless network freeing up bandwidth on your standard wifi. However you need to make sure that Sonosnet is using a different wifi channel otherwise there will be interference between the two networks (the normal channels to use in a home network are 1,6,11).

In your case it sounds like most of your activity requires Internet access so you might also need to review what download speed your Internet connection has.

Badge +3

However you need to make sure that Sonosnet is using a different wifi channel otherwise there will be interference between the two networks (the normal channels to use in a home network are 1,6,11).

In your case it sounds like most of your activity requires Internet access so you might also need to review what download speed your Internet connection has.

Not sure how to tell what channel my home network is using.  I use a Google WiFi mesh router system with 500mbps download speed which is pretty high bandwidth/speed but I’m going to keep adding audio with a turntable and probably use lossless or whatever its called.  Not sure if that will add to the bandwidth or not.

Badge +3

If I hookup a Boost and it sets up its own dedicated WiFi network for my Sonos speakers will I be able to control the speakers from the Sonos app while I’m on my primary home WiFi network?  Or will I have to go into my phones WiFi settings and change over to the Sonos network every time I want to use my speakers?  

If I hookup a Boost and it sets up its own dedicated WiFi network for my Sonos speakers will I be able to control the speakers from the Sonos app while I’m on my primary home WiFi network?

Yes. The ‘Sonos network’ is just a different wireless segment on the same IP subnet.

Or will I have to go into my phones WiFi settings and change over to the Sonos network every time I want to use my speakers?  

There is no ‘Sonos network’ as such for your phone to change over to. It’s a proprietary wireless that won’t appear in your phone settings.

In any case it’s not necessary to change your phone’s connection, see above.