Question

Bookshelf speaker suggestions for Sonos Amp (must be max depth of 22cm)

• 17 May 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
Hi.

Due to some changes in my living room, I can no longer use my floor standing speakers that I use with my Sonos Amp.

I'm recently installed some new shelves though, and want to have some speakers for it... the only issue is that the shelf depth is only 22.5cm.

Can anyone suggest any good bookshelf speakers (£200 max) with a depth of no more than around 22cm to go on my shelves?

Been looking at the Q Acoustics 3010 but I'm still unsure.

Looking forward to suggestions... thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

While getting a speaker of that size isn't a task - Elac B4 for example, or Dali Zensor 1 - the problem I see is that you will not be able to give them the recommended 8-10 inches from their rear ports, away from the wall. And speakers of that size will need Sub support, if you want sound to be as from floor standers. With a Sub, it will be better actually.

If you can sell the Connect Amp for a reasonable price, a wall mounted play 1 pair ought to be a good start. Trueplay for optimising the close to the wall location. At some time in the future depending on budgets, add Sonos Sub. You could even use the shelves for placing the 1 units, close to the front edge of the shelf.
Badge +2
While getting a speaker of that size isn't a task - Elac B4 for example, or Dali Zensor 1 - the problem I see is that you will not be able to give them the recommended 8-10 inches from their rear ports, away from the wall. And speakers of that size will need Sub support, if you want sound to be as from floor standers. With a Sub, it will be better actually.

If you can sell the Connect Amp for a reasonable price, a wall mounted play 1 pair ought to be a good start. Trueplay for optimising the close to the wall location. At some time in the future depending on budgets, add Sonos Sub. You could even use the shelves for placing the 1 units, close to the front edge of the shelf.

I connect my TV to the Amp, so 2x Play 1s aren't an option here really - I need the line-in. I already have 3x Play 1s, 1x Play 3 and 1x Play 5 in the house though. I was thinking of using the Play 5 (with the line-in) but wanting to use the bookshelf speakers is also due to how they'll look on the shelves too.

I'll look at those speakers though - thanks. Do you have any experience of the Q Acoustics 3010's?

Can any sub connect to the Sonos Amp, or does it need to be a Sonos one?
No, though I notice the 3010 also has rear ports. And I have found that these speakers of different makes these days have more in common with each other, including sound that is just of slightly different flavours that one gets used to in a week or so. None of those from known brands are "bad".

Any powered Sub can connect to the Sonos Amp via the line out socket for Subs ; the Sonos one does not need any wires to do so, other than the mains one of course.

You can keep the 5 pair on those shelves with a line in wire running to one of them from the TV; but I guess you know that. The advantage over Amp + third party speakers is the ability to do Trueplay; you cannot do that with Connect Amp.
Badge +2
Just tested the running the TV output to the Play 5 via its line-in...

While it sounded OK (not as nice as the Amp/speakers combo), the delay was too much to take. I appreciate there is a 'lag' for a specific reason on the Play 5, and I even tried adjusting the sound sync option on my TV. However, it was difficult to get it even close. :(

I guess the 'lag' on the Play 5 works different to the Amp, or am I missing something?
The only way to make a valid comparison between speakers is to eliminate all other variables; and with speakers, where they are placed in a room is a big one, so unless you have done that...and comparing one speaker to a pair of another make is another reason for invalidating it.

The way the Amp and the play 5 work with respect to the lag is identical - unless one is set to uncompressed and the other to compressed in the line in options.