bluetooth speaker

• 28 November 2018
  • 12 replies

Starting to regamret buying my sonos play1 last week - it was sold to me as a Bluetooth speaker, the best their is apparently - but it continually disconnects as it's actually a wifi speaker and my router is in another room - I can't use it all, I can't use YouTube, I can't connect on Bluetooth - it's a terrible waste and I'll be taking it back tomorrow

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

To continue - I just want to play music from my iPhone -really simple!! My 79 year old mums JVc speaker does that - sonos however, must have wifi or it's less than useless - I paid £140 for mine, so it's going back to shop tomorrow - can anyone recommend a good Bluetooth speaker that connects to iPhone , doesn't need wifi, and plays YouTube? I can buy one for £30 but wanted something quality which sadly SONOS doesn't offer as it's a wifi speaker
If you bought Sonos as a Bluetooth speaker then your research was non-existent and the salesperson incompetent. Sonos is, and always has been, a networked multiroom hifi system. Why should anyone on this forum have a clue about bluetooth speakers?
If you type in google 'best bluetooth speaker' sonos appears at the very top - the actual truth is a £30 JVC speaker is way better
Badge
While it's unfortunate that you were sold a sonos speaker as a Bluetooth speaker, I think it is unfair to criticize it for something that it was never designed to be.
We need to promote more that SONOS is a wifi speaker - I googled 'best Bluetooth speaker' and for some reason sonos is at top of page! As we now know sonos is the worst bluetotb speaker! You can't even listen to BBC6 music. Or you tube, it's become apparent that sonos is perfect for those not wanting to experience new music, rather it's more suited to those who want to listen to their existing music on file, again, and again and again. What a waste of time.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
You clearly have no idea what Sonos speakers are and what they can do, which is fine, but please stop making false statements. Sonos is not "the worst bluetooth speakers, it simple ISN'T a bluetooth speaker. If that's mentioned somewhere on a review site, that's clearly on them and not on Sonos since they have never ever advertised them as such.
You absolutely CAN listen to BBC 6 and 10s of thousands other radiostreams worldwide through Sonos with TuneIn which is integrated .Youtube is a different story since it's a streaming video service, but with a newer Sonos product that supports Airplay 2 even that is possible.

And your last statement about listening to existing music over and over again: Sonos supports over 60 different music services that you can add to it, more than any other WiFi speaker....
Sonos is trying to manipulate the listener. Wish I'd taken advice and researched the internet first! It's awash with disgruntled comments. The general feeling, which I share, it's lack of choice. As a user I have the right to listen to what I want and when I want. Whichever way you look at it, SONOS does NOT provide this - what a waste
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
To the OP. You do realise that if you set up the Sonos speaker you can play music from your iPhone, providing it is on the same wi fi network. It will be better quality than BT. Also if you use a streaming music service you can play that too and control it from your iphone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos is trying to manipulate the listener. Wish I'd taken advice and researched the internet first! It's awash with disgruntled comments. The general feeling, which I share, it's lack of choice. As a user I have the right to listen to what I want and when I want. Whichever way you look at it, SONOS does NOT provide this - what a waste
Unbelievable!
My wifi router is another room, so I'm a bit stuck - I stream through YouTube, I only pay for music on iTunes, so new bands get some cash, as opposed to those who need it least. Really unhappy - and this SONOS community is the wrong place to air my feelings - as people here have adequate wifi connection and I guess stream through Spotify - this should be made clearer to buyers like me, clueless sales assistants and google adverts make this device seem attractive, and the quality of sound is perfect, but this adds to my frustrations - I guess sonos will try and flog me CONNECTER - or something - but it all stinks of profiteering - just let me play my bloody music !
Totally unbelievable ! Everywhere you look these days people are trying to pull the wool over your eyes and rip you off - to anyone thinking of buying a sonos, let me advise, forget about YouTube and make sure you internet connection is strong as it will just keep cutting out! I had a friends round at the weekend, nonone could believe I paid £140 for a product with so many restrictions
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I believe rossrawley has made their point and it's unfortunate he/she didn't entirely know what they were buying.

rossrawley, I apologise if you feel the product was misrepresented. Though it does bear mentioning that we, Sonos, never proclaimed this to be a Bluetooth speaker. I hope you find what it is you want in a device.

I don't really see much merit in keeping this thread open. Thanks for participating, all.