Question

Best option for high humidity balcony - Sonos One or Play:1?

• 9 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi all, 

I live in Panamá City, Panamá where the climate is really tropical (80%+ humidity, 30+ degrees Celsius most of the year).

i have a sheltered balcony Id like to put a speaker on. I’m not worried about it getting wet as I have an area where the rain doesn’t reach. However, I am worried about the effect of leaving the speaker in such hot and humid conditions for an extended period time.

Does anyone know whether the Sonos 1 or play would be OK in this weather / climate? I know people install in their bathrooms so hoping they are up to the challenge but would love some guidance before I invest! 

if there’s a better solution to either of these that would work too!

Thanks in advance.

5 replies

Having lived in one, the problem in such cities is also the nearness of the sea and the salt effect from even the atmosphere. It plays up hell with every appliance so while the above suggestions are good, life of the equipment will still be affected.

The only way to deal with this is replacement, and that points to not buying expensive kit to start with, when seen from a replace in five years or so perspective.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Oilisab.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Have you considered a Sonos Move? They are IP56 rated. I wouldn’t leave one out permanently on the veranda, but I am sure it would be OK to use it in those conditions. You would then have the benefit of being able to use it in the house as well. If I was in your situation,  would leave it on the charging base inside and take it outside whenever needed. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge +1

Hi all, 

I live in Panamá City, Panamá where the climate is really tropical (80%+ humidity, 30+ degrees Celsius most of the year).

i have a sheltered balcony Id like to put a speaker on. I’m not worried about it getting wet as I have an area where the rain doesn’t reach. However, I am worried about the effect of leaving the speaker in such hot and humid conditions for an extended period time.

Does anyone know whether the Sonos 1 or play would be OK in this weather / climate? I know people install in their bathrooms so hoping they are up to the challenge but would love some guidance before I invest! 

if there’s a better solution to either of these that would work too!

Thanks in advance.

Hi. Did you already figure out what speaker to use? I also live in Panama, and have an apartment by the beach. I have been using sonos for years and would like a permanent speaker in my balcony, however I haven’t decided which could he the best.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Have you considered a Sonos Move? They are IP56 rated. I wouldn’t leave one out permanently on the veranda, but I am sure it would be OK to use in those conditions. You would then have the benefit of being able to use it in the house as well. If I was in your situation,  would leave it on the charging base inside and take it outside whenever needed. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @CharlayK.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and showing interest in our products.

You may wanna check this link also Sonance.

They are in partner with Sonos and have ideal speakers for outdoors.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.