Answered

Best for Classic and Jazz music + TV connection

• 8 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi, everyone! ?
I have read many useful advices here. However, it's not clear to me what to choose in my case.

I'm going to buy Sonos to listen to Classical and Jazz music and to connect my system to a TV.

I will put it in the middle-size living room in the house and the budget is 1,5K.

I'm looking at Beam + 2 Play:5s combo. Will it be enough for my purposes? ?

Another combo may be: Beam + Sub + 2 Play:1s. But I think it's better for TV experinece...?

What do you think, guys?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 8 October 2018, 14:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

That's cool! Thanks, dude!
Userlevel 7
Hi djivatma
*** I prefer the Boost mode :8

Additional thanks for the links 😉 Did I understand it clear: if I connect my Beam to the router via a network cable, Sonos Boost is not needed?

Yes...you will not need to purchase the actual Boost component. Anytime you connect a speaker to your router via Ethernet you are in Boost mode ( as was shown in the second part of the video in the link). The only downside IMO is that it limits the placement of the speaker or you must move the router which may not be ideal for the rest of the household for WiFi signal to other gadgets.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi djivatma

Additional thanks for the links 😉 Did I understand it clear: if I connect my Beam to the router via a network cable, Sonos Boost is not needed?

That is correct
Hi djivatma

Many thanks for your replies, pjotr12 and AjTrek1! ???
Userlevel 7
Hi djivatma

If your main objective is Classical and Jazz listening then go with the Beam and Play 5's x 2. You can set the Play 5's as surrounds and in the Sonos app set them to Full for music listening. The sound stage (for music) will be somewhat reversed when in the seated position; but for general room listening it won't matter. You can even lower the volume of the Beam when in music mode and make the Play 5's dominant. The low end on the Play 5's is very nice; however you can add a sub later to complete the HT portion when funds are available. Note: Suggest you buy the Play 5's direct from Sonos as they are discounted when purchased as a pair. Then again you may be able to get a price match for a local retailer or find them online for no tax and free shipping.

Your second option would complete the HT setup and still provide a decent listening experience for music using the same setting parameters for the Play 1's as surrounds (i.e. Full for music). The low end would still be there for music with the Play 1's and sub.

The only way to know for sure is to buy from a local retailer that is willing to let you audition both setups either separately or together knowing that you will be returning some components. Be sure to have that understanding before you buy.

Sonos Basics
1. You'll need a good router with a decent Wi-Fi signal.
2. Download the Sonos App to a cell, tablet (iOS or Android) or PC (Windows or Mac) *
3. An Amazon account for Alexa to take full advantage of the Beam features **
4. Click the link for more information: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos ***

* TruePlay tuning only works with an iOS device (Apple)
** Your TV must have a HDMI-ARC port

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I listen to classical music a lot. I have 2 play 5's of the first generation and I'm very satisfied with them. If I would replace them, it would be with 2 play 5's of the second generation 🙂
I don't know much about the connection with a television, but I think the second combo (the beam, play 1's and sub) would be an excellent choice for your tv, while the 2 play 5's will be a very good hifi music setup. Personally I would go for the combo with the play 5's but thats because I don't care so much for tv sound. You could try both combinations and return what you don't need.