Best addition to beam+sonos one for small bedroom

• 14 August 2018
  • 2 replies

I'm stuck on what to get next, I just got the beam and I have a sonos one in my room but I don't know if I should hold off on another One and save up for the sub or go ahead and get a One so I can have surrounds. I'm about to shovel out a good bit of money on a nice 55" TV so it's gotta be one or the other. The One is obviously way cheaper and could pair with my existing One for rears but idk if the Sub is worth it for a small bedroom. I haven't heard anything about them making a more economical sub to match the price and power of the beam and I'm hesitant to double what I've spent on Sonos already and veer into overkill territory for about a 300 sq ft bedroom but then again it is where I'll be enjoying almost all of my music, TV, and video games. I'm not worried about too much sound because my room is fairly soundproofed and I'm young, but also keep in mind money-wise I'm a college student. I'm not a basshead but I do appreciate a full sound and for a good mix of TV and music I'm just trying to figure out the best solution and bang-for-buck. I do get decent deals on sonos sometimes as a employee at a tech store but the cost ratio ends up about the same between the One and Sub. My main concern is getting too much and just using 1/2 its potential. Any input is greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If you buy another Sonos One and 'bond' the pair in a 5.0 surround then please note that the two surrounds will have their microphone and Alexa disable, leaving just access to Alexa on the Beam only. I personally would currently prefer two of the older Play:1’s for that reason, but it’s likely the Sonos One will have a longer 'official' sonos support period than the Play:1.

I think the Sonos Sub is also perhaps overkill for a small, or medium, size bedroom but it depends on your own tastes. The Beams in a 5.0 setup sound very good, across all the frequency range.

I can’t comment fully on your TV, because I don’t know what you have now.

So your choice is a difficult one. If the TV definitely needs an upgrade, then personally speaking, I would go with that as my first option... not least, as I would want to make sure the Sonos Beam works with it well and that there are no issues.

One other thing, (important if future-proofing your TV) if I was in the market for a new TV, but found I was able to wait a while, then I would wait till I could buy one with an HDMI eARC port... That gives the potential to future support Dolby Atmos. I think such TV's are due for release in early 2019.
Thanks for the input, since a One won’t pair with a play 1 for rear speakers as of now and I already have one I think I may go with another Sonos One so I can set the them as rear speakers, i was just apprehensive about spending as much for the .1 of my setup as I did for the 5. ??