Beam vs Playbar vs Playbase

• 10 December 2019
  • 7 replies

I’m new to SONOS, but long time fan. I’ve always told myself I’d build myself a SONOS setup once I have the right place. Well, next year I’ll be purchasing a new place and wanted to slowly start making purchases so it doesn’t hit me all at once.

That said, I purchased two SONOS Ones yesterday. I’m starting to think of my next purchase. Debating between Beam (+ Sub), Playbar (+sub) or the Playbase. Which would you suggest, and why? 

Right now I’m leaning towards Beam + Sub solely due to price point and versatility with using the sub. But really interested to hear more from the more experienced. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How big is the room, and how will you be mounting the tv/sonos combination?

Playbar is best sonically and for sound stage, IMHO, but it’s quite big. Beam is more compact but has a small sound stage too. Playbase is a good solution if tv is on a stand: Playbase can sit under it, but still a limited sound stage. Sub is a good additional to them all - even the Playbar, I’m told!

I have Playbase and sub; it’s good on its own but MUCH better with sub.

How big is the room, and how will you be mounting the tv/sonos combination?

Playbar is best sonically and for sound stage, IMHO, but it’s quite big. Beam is more compact but has a small sound stage too. Playbase is a good solution if tv is on a stand: Playbase can sit under it, but still a limited sound stage. Sub is a good additional to them all - even the Playbar, I’m told!

I have Playbase and sub; it’s good on its own but MUCH better with sub.

Room isn’t too large, but I’d like to fill the house itself with sound.

I’m shocked to hear you have a sub with the Playbase. I always assumed that nobody would get a sub with the Playbase because it already had one built in. That said, I’d prefer to go Beam or Playbar solely because I want to purchase the Sub seperatly. Just not sure what the benefits of both are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In a 5.1 setup, the sub is the .1 element. For music, toggling the sub on and off does reveal a big difference - though the Trueplay tuning may have something to do with that. But it does mean a big cabinet and speakers in the sub help out the relatively small cabinet and speakers in a Playbase (or Beam or Playbar).  
It does sound good without, but it sounds better with. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Pretzel The Playbase sounds great on its own, but I have a Sub connected to mine and I love the extra bass it adds. It’s a personal preference, but you can always add a Sub later.

@Pretzel The Playbase sounds great on its own, but I have a Sub connected to mine and I love the extra bass it adds. It’s a personal preference, but you can always add a Sub later.

Noted. I just feel it may be redundant to have both the sub and Playbase. Both real-estate, and financially. Do you have any experience with Playbar vs Beam? 

I would think the physical size of the SUB would add substantial “oomph” to the relatively smaller sub section of the PLAYBASE. There’s a certain amount of physics involved, I would think. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would think the physical size of the SUB would add substantial “oomph” to the relatively smaller sub section of the PLAYBASE. There’s a certain amount of physics involved, I would think. 

It does. 😀