Beam vs Playbar vs Playbase

• 10 December 2019
  • 7 replies

I’m new to SONOS, but long time fan. I’ve always told myself I’d build myself a SONOS setup once I have the right place. Well, next year I’ll be purchasing a new place and wanted to slowly start making purchases so it doesn’t hit me all at once.

That said, I purchased two SONOS Ones yesterday. I’m starting to think of my next purchase. Debating between Beam (+ Sub), Playbar (+sub) or the Playbase. Which would you suggest, and why? 

Right now I’m leaning towards Beam + Sub solely due to price point and versatility with using the sub. But really interested to hear more from the more experienced. 

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

How big is the room, and how will you be mounting the tv/sonos combination?

Playbar is best sonically and for sound stage, IMHO, but it’s quite big. Beam is more compact but has a small sound stage too. Playbase is a good solution if tv is on a stand: Playbase can sit under it, but still a limited sound stage. Sub is a good additional to them all - even the Playbar, I’m told!

I have Playbase and sub; it’s good on its own but MUCH better with sub.

How big is the room, and how will you be mounting the tv/sonos combination?

Playbar is best sonically and for sound stage, IMHO, but it’s quite big. Beam is more compact but has a small sound stage too. Playbase is a good solution if tv is on a stand: Playbase can sit under it, but still a limited sound stage. Sub is a good additional to them all - even the Playbar, I’m told!

I have Playbase and sub; it’s good on its own but MUCH better with sub.

Room isn’t too large, but I’d like to fill the house itself with sound.

I’m shocked to hear you have a sub with the Playbase. I always assumed that nobody would get a sub with the Playbase because it already had one built in. That said, I’d prefer to go Beam or Playbar solely because I want to purchase the Sub seperatly. Just not sure what the benefits of both are.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

In a 5.1 setup, the sub is the .1 element. For music, toggling the sub on and off does reveal a big difference - though the Trueplay tuning may have something to do with that. But it does mean a big cabinet and speakers in the sub help out the relatively small cabinet and speakers in a Playbase (or Beam or Playbar).  
It does sound good without, but it sounds better with. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Pretzel The Playbase sounds great on its own, but I have a Sub connected to mine and I love the extra bass it adds. It’s a personal preference, but you can always add a Sub later.

@Pretzel The Playbase sounds great on its own, but I have a Sub connected to mine and I love the extra bass it adds. It’s a personal preference, but you can always add a Sub later.

Noted. I just feel it may be redundant to have both the sub and Playbase. Both real-estate, and financially. Do you have any experience with Playbar vs Beam? 

I would think the physical size of the SUB would add substantial “oomph” to the relatively smaller sub section of the PLAYBASE. There’s a certain amount of physics involved, I would think. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I would think the physical size of the SUB would add substantial “oomph” to the relatively smaller sub section of the PLAYBASE. There’s a certain amount of physics involved, I would think. 

It does. 😀