Question

Beam vs Playbar

• 20 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I want to upgrade my Beam which I use with bonded Ones for TV and music playback for something with a wider soundstage, I was hanging out for the Arc but really don't like how it sounds and after its had a few updates now I'm resigned to the fact it'll never be for me.

I find it sounds overly bright and sibilant and particularly unsuited to music playback.

If I'm to stay with Sonos for a like for like setup that only leaves me with the ancient Playbar, can anyone who's heard both Beam and Playbar say if that would be much of an upgrade in terms of sound quality?

Alexa or any other technical advances aren't an issue and really judging things on sound quality alone, particularly for music playback.

6 replies

And mildly more challenging to find, now that Sonos no longer makes the PLAYBAR. I really liked mine, but it was replaced by the Arc, which to me, when paired with the Sub, and TruePlayed, sounds excellent. And the wider soundstage is much appreciated. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Very impressed with our Playbar/ Sub/ Play1 setup.

Just bear in mind you need to get Dolby Digital 5.1 down it's optical cable one way or another for proper surround.

Some TV's are better at it than others.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Bernado Yes, understood.  that’s why I said the Playbar has a fuller sound.  I just wanted to comment why I ended up going with the Beam.

Gotcha

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@Bernado Yes, understood.  that’s why I said the Playbar has a fuller sound.  I just wanted to comment why I ended up going with the Beam.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks but as mentioned I have got the Beam, looking for something better now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Yes.  I bought the Beam a year ago, after listening to both the Beam and Playbar.  The Playbar is definitely more fuller sounding.  But chose the Beam, because I wanted the HDMI-ARC connectivity and the price was better for me.  I also bought the One’s for the Surround.  And I thought that I might buy the Sub in another year.  Costco near me is still carrying the Playbar and they have one out in Demo mode.